Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on a shop sanding machine

Need advice on a shop sanding machine

I am not a big woodworker but I do have the usuall woodworking power tools and I also have a brand new Delta lathe. I have found on several occasions that a sander would come in handy. I do mostly turning stuff and very little flat work but I do make some projects, nothing to big though. I was wondering if I should be looking for a budget belt/disc sander or a single 12" disc sander or a budget Oscillating Edge Sander machine?????? I find used belt/disc machines for around $500. New ones are around $1200. New Disc sander is $200 and an OES machine is around $1200.............
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Sanding equipment is an area that my shop is severely lacking. I have belt sanders and ROS's, but the Ridgid belt/sindle sander from the BORG has been a real life saver until I can afford a larger machine.

In my opinion, you can't have too many sanding machines. I have a Grizzly 12" disc/ 6" belt sander, a Ryobi oscillating spindle (practically given to me...), a homemade 12" disc/10" long X 3" diameter drum station (made with two spare motors and attaching a disc to one and a foam drum to the other), as well as the standard hand held ROS and belt sander.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have a Ridgid belt/spindle sander that I use all the time in my hobby shop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've been using the RIDGID Oscillating sander from Home Depot for about 3 years now. It's small and easily store away. Just remember it's small but at the same time cheap.

And I noticed your AF symbol...so don't forget to ask for the 10% military discount at HD.

Sanders are one of "those" machines. By that I mean they tend to be specific to ones needs. Where one guy may need a shop full of sanders to build his chosen projects another may need no machines for sanding at all and another guy may need one machine but it might be an unusual one that almost nobody else needs. In the end one of the tools I think most everyone can get use out of without breaking the bank is the Rigid sander. For $200 is is very versatile and if nothing else can help you steer yourself in the correct direction for a bigger sander later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Sanders are one of "those" machines. By that I mean they tend to be specific to ones needs. Where one guy may need a shop full of sanders to build his chosen projects another may need no machines for sanding at all and another guy may need one machine but it might be an unusual one that almost nobody else needs. In the end one of the tools I think most everyone can get use out of without breaking the bank is the Rigid sander. For $200 is is very versatile and if nothing else can help you steer yourself in the correct direction for a bigger sander later on.

Well I was just looking for an all in one sander. But it needs to be precise, not junk. I had the Rigid machine and practically gave it away, I thought it was a POS. I guess I will just get the Jet 1hp disc sander then later I can get an edge sander if the need arrises.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

The Jet 12" disc is indespencible for miter joints and fitting butt joints perfectly. Makes life so much easier. I also have the Jet oscillating sander, which is great for curved surfaces, but not nearly as much used as the 12" disc.

Shop around. I got mine new in box for about $300.00

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Well I was just looking for an all in one sander. But it needs to be precise, not junk. I had the Rigid machine and practically gave it away, I thought it was a POS.
    I've heard this before, but am still surprised. I really like mine, as do many others.

That said ... a neighbor is selling his ... well ... this:

and I have thought about making him an offer....

The 529 is on my "list". I would like a larger table for the OSS but the combo unit is cheaper than their larger OSS alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I've heard this before, but am still surprised. I really like mine, as do many others.

That said ... a neighbor is selling his ... well ... this:

and I have thought about making him an offer....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    I had the Rigid machine and practically gave it away, I thought it was a POS.
    Hmm, I rescind my previous comment. I was under the impression you needed something to get you by. How about the Shop Fox W1737.

Well now we're not sure what to think

I think Glen B hit it on the head. We thought you wanted one thing, but maybe it's a sander of a different kind? Let me explain. I have turned a bit myself, I tend to sand on the lathe, and only use one of my medium to larger belt/disc sander units rarely with lathe work, so I wasn't sure of your post either after the Ridgid comment. Sooo, If you're wanting power and belt/disc size, you want a 6 x48" combo machine. One that has solid table mountings, not on a single post that allows the table to flex under a load while you're using it. 1HP or better. I have, and pretty much like, the Grizzly 1276. It requires some thought on set-up since it doesn't come with a base, and you have to add a dust port to the disc side of the machine. There are lots of other machines out there along with this one that were covered in a Wood Magazine review back in '04 I think. You can look up the article if that size/capacity is what you're looking for.
    For OSS, do you want a bench model or a floor model?
    Edge Sander,? I thought you rarely did flat work from your post, so that really threw me[us?]
    I also have a small 4" belt/combo disc machine from Ryobi that supplements my larger Grizzly and my Jet bench top OSS. Not sure if that's too small for you or what. The Ryobi is heavy, stays in place, but will never match the larger machines for power and ability, esp in the disc department.
    Dust collection is a must for any of these types, as you probably already know. For what it's worth. I commented to Fine Woodworking in a recent reader survey that they needed to review the current crop of 6" x 48" sanders because we all seem to have them, but no one ever reviews them except that 2004 Wood Magazine issue. Most of the machines in that article have either changed, gone up in price or have been superceded or even discontinued. At the time, Wood Mag. really like the Delta combo unit, but I'd also look at the Powermatic that's out right now if you're ok with the size and price. I think the combo sander units are underated or not looked at by many magazine editors for some strange reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    Hmm, I rescind my previous comment. I was under the impression you needed something to get you by. How about the Shop Fox W1737.
    Cute, really cute. I just googled this sucker. 10HP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post

What that POS? Why not get a real sander like a PM WB43 true it is a little underpowered at 25hp, but I think you could probably hook a BB chevy up to it.

I posted the shop fox cause it is the biggest i could find that will run on house current.