Thread: Small Festool sanders question

Small Festool sanders question

I 'did a search', and still need guidance.

I make wooden frames by hand out of poplar, (not complicated), and am doing a job where the surfaces are all flat and square (photo below), and want to do a quicker, easier job of sanding the surfaces to prep them for lacquer. I do 15 or 20 of these frames at a time, and can afford to invest to make the production better. The frames are about 9 x 12" outside, and the face is about 1" wide, 1 1/8" deep. (Ignore the finish on the piece in the photo. It's one of the first rejects from years ago - the good ones were sold) I have a Bosch ROS which is much too aggressive for this, and a Bosch 1/4 sheet pad orbital which works, but is not optimal IMO. One concern is that when I sand the inside walls, the 1/4 sheet vibrates against the ends dinging them up. I am intrigued by the Festools, and am torn between the DTS 400, the RTS 400 and the LS 130. Any suggestions? I like the lighter weight of the 400's, and the lower price, but I like the linear stroke of the 130. I would like to be able to sand right next to a perpendicular surface without banging up against it which I think the 130 would allow. I also think the longer stroke of the 130 would be advantageous, but I read a post where the person said this sander didn't do the job he expected (I realize that could mean anything, but it's all I have to go on). The 130 also seems to be more adaptable to different needs, but at a cost. I understand with the 130 I would need to buy a flat sanding pad for my purpose, but that's okay. I'm more interested in the results than the expense. Maybe I only need the 400. But, then, do I go with the DTS or the RTS? I would like to use the sander for other things, but this project is my main concern.

I only want to do this once. I can't afford to buy one of each. Does anyone have experience with all three? Or, has anyone had a similar need and a good solution? Or, should I just stick with my Bosch 1/4 sheet and buy new cross country skis?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would try to do it with a drum sander or wide belt,
    run all pieces through before cutting to length all 4 sides, miter, assemble and then run the finished frame through face up. You should be able to go over it quickly by hand with a sanding block to ease the corners.
    Thank You
    Ed

Ken I own all three.

Actually I have two LS 130's (so I can have different profiles mounted). The LS 130's I used mostly for detail; inside/outside profile curved work or inside/outside 90 degree corners. Since only a small strip of sand paper contacts the wood dust collection is marginal due to the small surface contact and the paper fills fast in the contact strip. So I keep removing/moving the sheet of sand paper making a 1/2 doz. strips on a sheet before I throw it out.

Although I think the LS 130 would work for you I'd go with the RTS 400 which by the way uses the same sheets as the LS 130. This little 1/4 sheet pad sander replaced what was my all time favorite sander: the Rockwell, then Porter Cable. now... ??? "Speed Block". I have completely wore out a bunch of Speed Blocks but now my favorite little sander is the RTS 400 (I actually had to look up the # for which was the rectangular & which corresponded to the iron shape. Frankly I don't give a dam about what # it is or what it's called only "how" it works...). The advantage for me is that the rectangular shape has 4 corners to wear out and 4 edges on the sand paper. Again if you sanding "just with the edge" it will wear/load the edges faster. I wear the edges first on the end of the sander opposite from hose or "toe end", then I peal & rotate the paper for fresh corners/edges. If I am using the full pad then the dust collection works wonderfully & keeps the paper from loading. However since this is a small surface area the full power of the vacuum concentrated on the small area is too much & sucks the pad to the surface causing the sander to bog down, so you need to be able to dial down the suction of the vacuum.

The iron shape sander or DTS 400 is a great little sander. However the square corners are "under" the hose end & thus not as easy to use up against a "wall", nor is it easy to control the "heel" side of the pad. Although the toe end has a tip like a iron which is great to get into corners both the paper & the pad wear quickly since it is the only working corner. And you can't rotate the sheet to get a new corner like a rectangular sheet. Don't get me wrong the DTS 400 is a great little sander, but for me it's not my "go to" work horse.

And by the way even though the RTS or the DTS are small sanders, they can be surprisingly aggressive with 40 grit.

Hope this helps,
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    I would try to do it with a drum sander or wide belt, run all pieces through before cutting to length all 4 sides, miter, assemble and then run the finished frame through face up. You should be able to go over it quickly by hand with a sanding block to ease the corners.
    This was my first thought even before I read the above quoted reply. If you are making a number of these every day, then a wide belt sander is going to save you some SERIOUS time. Plus it will give you a consistency that you will not be able to get with a hand held power sander.

Of course, I'm all about another Festool.....

Thank you for the replies!

Ed & Jon, I agree that a big belt or drum would work great, but then you're talking serious money, and I only get this project once or twice a year. I can justify a hand sander, but not a stationary tool. Good idea, though.

Jim, thank you for detailing your experience. That's what I wanted to know. I went to bed last night sold on the 130. Woke up this morning ready to pick up the DTS400. So, your points are well-taken and now I feel very clearly that the RTS400 is the right sander for me. Who says I can't make up my mine? It will do a good job on the inside corners, won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Casser View Post
    Thank you for the replies!

....Jim, thank you for detailing your experience. That's what I wanted to know. I went to bed last night sold on the 130. Woke up this morning ready to pick up the DTS400. So, your points are well-taken and now I feel very clearly that the RTS400 is the right sander for me. Who says I can't make up my mine? It will do a good job on the inside corners, won't it?
    Ken, I think Jim nailed it. I too have all three of these sanders and I can't think of any thing else to add to what Jim said. I agree the DTS400 is great for getting into corners but at the expense of wearing the tip of the abrasive rather quickly. The ability rotate the abrasive on the RTS400 really adds to it's value. It will work in the corners, just not a slick as the DTS.

The good news is you have 30 days to try out the tool, if you aren't happy return it, no questions asked.

Thanks, Brice!

So, I picked it up this afternoon, got it home, read the instructions, and turned it on. After about twenty seconds, I went upstairs and told my wife, "we're in trouble now". I had a Makita 1/4 sheet which I needed hearing protection to use. The Bosch was much quieter, but I still had to turn the radio up when using it. With the Festool, I need an ear trumpet to hear it. I've never had a smoother running sander ever, and the variable speeds are really nice. Thank you all for your help. I'm happy.

One question that I'm sure will generate interesting responses - what do you do with the Systainer? I see where extra sanding sheets will go (some, not all). I see where the sander goes, with or without the dust bag attachment. But, the cord doesn't fit anywhere, and I don't know what the other compartments might be for. I suppose the same insert is used for the 130 or something, but I would think the cord would fit in there nicely somewhere. Any ideas?

Ken

Ken, I don't think there is a specific space for the cord, you sort of have to just tuck it in there. I believe all of the small sanders use the same Systainer insert that's why it a generic fit. Now let's see how long it takes you to buy another Festool sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Casser View Post
    One question that I'm sure will generate interesting responses - what do you do with the Systainer?
    Ken
    Congrats on the new sander. I have 3-4 Festool's and don't "get" the whole Systainer thing. I tossed mine in the trash and store the tools in cabinets along side other sanders, drills, and saws.

To me, they're no different than the other useless cases that came with my hand tools. If I was a contractor, going job site to job site, I can see their value. I'm not, and the tools live in my garage shop, so I toss the cases.

Regards,

John

John,

The next time you go to toss the case... "Don't!!!"

I'll GLADLY pay fro the shipping on the Systainer and a "few beers" to boot!

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Systainer

Toss the cases? Sell a few on E-bay and you can buy more tools. Have you seen the prices systainers go for? You might as well take your wallet and empty the cash into the garbage, it's basically the same thing.