Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Corner Cupboard

Man that is some nice cherry! I don't know IF I have ever seen curl that heavy. Your work is EXCELLENT and the time period which you have gained this skill is remarkable.

The second part of my post I make with some reluctance but I will try to offer some design critique. First, let me say our styles could not be more different as I am a devotee of modern Danish so my aesthetic is seriously different.

You love figure, I do too but you might find that showcasing high figure and not using it for the entire piece can be very pleasing and certainly less expensive.

The second thing is contrast, consider using some contrast within the piece particularly with larger pieces. This can frame a piece, add weight height or width as well as draw the eyes. This prevents a piece from becoming a monochrome monolith. It can also helps show off the craftsmanship that you have in spades. Now consider John's piece which is also monochromatic but in use it will be filled with items of varying color and texture, that allows the wood to ground all this in a way that will be more pleasing to the eye, in this case a more busy piece would have been chaotic when filled with stuff.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh since I do REALLY love your work, it is just meant to impart some design ideas as food for thought.

Carl, Your work is outstanding in every respect. I've never seen such beautiful cherry lumber. Spectacular!!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very eye catching!

It is only going to get more beautiful as it ages.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Again thanks for the nice comments.

John T. That is one nice piece of furniture and I can see where it would be heavy.

Van H. no offence taken, that is how I learn is to get other people's opinion's. I like that and it will help me down the road.