Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel X5

How to create ticket numbers with print merge (X4 and X5)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Anything else you can think of will be appreciated.
    does it have an easy way of doing sequential numbers or importing changeable text from spreadsheets or is the print merge unchanged?
    I'm looking at getting the permission to creating videos for the CorelDRAW channel on youtube. With that I hope to share a lot more about what we did with this version.

Print merge was unchanged this year, but you can create ticket numbers in X4 (and X5) pretty easily...

- Launch print merge
    - Create new fields
    - In the Numeric field box, give the field a name (like Numbers)
    - Numbers will be in the box at the middle. Select it and then the numeric field options will turn on at the bottom.

By default it will create numbers for how many records are in the rest of the print merge fields. To change this take the check out of [ ]Continually increment the numeric field box and then you can set a start and end number.

HTH,
    T.

When you draw an object, how is the size calculated ? In my version the size is calcluated in the middle of the outline, I sometimes having trouble if things have to have an exact size - I was hoping that you can define, if it should be inner or outer width

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Thumbs up Corel X5

If your able to claim "Academia" - Corel x5 is only $100 for full package. I have a student ID for my local Community College, so I'm not having to drop $500 for it.

Just a thought for you all planning an upgrade.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

We did look at this but we were not able to deliver it for this version...sounds easy but by the time it makes it through all the engines that make up CorelDRAW the time really added up.
    You probably already know this, but if the outline is converted to an object then the size will be to the extents of the object.

A few things to consider for this.....
    1. The upgrade is $189, so you're not saving a lot of money
    2. The Academic version is for non commercial use and it says so right in the title bar of the application when it's running....it wouldn't look to good to clients with that staring them in the face.
    3. Wouldn't it make sense to support the co. that makes the software that you generate your hobby/livelyhood with...esp if the difference to have legal software is $89?

T.

Blog Entries
    Tony,

Forgive Terry... a you can see by his post count, he's fresh on these boards and hasn't yet learned most of us are cognizant of the difference between the commercial and academic versions.

Terry,

If you search for old threads, this has been discussed on multiple occasions. The academic version is not legal to use if your work is being used in a commercial setting (though some here still insist on doing so). Also be aware that the academic version does not include VBA, and therefore scripting applications/plugins will not work... this is crucial for some, and finding out after the fact is a hard pill to swallow.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

IMHO the problem is that you DO have an academic version that is to all intents identical to the "commercial" version in functionality (maybe barring a few bits and bobs)
    What is the real difference between using a cheaper version to sell stuff vs using a cheaper version to train on and selling yourself?
    Why not just split the difference in price and have one single version with far less to worry about and police?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

What I wish they (all software companies) would do is offer personal licenses. License the user, not the machine. One guy can only run 1 copy of Corel at a time, but in situations like mine, I have to license too many computers.

I have a main computer in the warmth of the house, with Windows 7. It has 2 24" 1080p monitors, and is easy and comfortable to draw up projects on, and had Corel X4. Since my Alps will not print from Windows 7, I have loaded a virtual machine on it, and run windows XP on it. There I have another copy of Corel, Corel 11, and us it to print decals.

On my garage computer, I have Corel 9, and use it to run the 3 laser engravers. I have to remember to save my Corel X4 files as Corel 9, then put them in the share folder so I can access them in the garage.

If I could just buy a personal license, say on a USB key, I could load Corel X4 on any the computers I use, and just insert my thumb drive, which would transmit to Corel it's being used here or there, and verify that multiple copies are not being ran. Upon closing Corel, it would transmit to Corel, user logged off that computer.

Now Corel is able to verify that one guy is using their software at a time, and that guy is not leashed to one computer, but is mobile, without having to purchase many licenses. Also make the license an annual fee, and allow him to use any version he chooses. Corel 9 might work best on a Windows 95 box, Corel 11 on older XP machines, and Corel X5 on the latest Windows 7 computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    I demand a trace-off! X5 v Inkscape. So far Corel hasn't even been in the same ballpark. Pick your graphic.

Dan's cryptic comments are decrypted!

Have to agree with Darren, I use Inkscape (we have Corel X3 and refuse to pay the outlandish cost for the upgrade to X4 or X5 - We can buy a new copy of X4 or X5 off ebay for less than the cost of the upgrade).

Inkscape is the bomb when it comes to tracing and...its free!

As far as blowing up a picture with no pixelizations, there is a free program that I found based on a posting here.

Now if Corel would put photograv one touch features in their software for free or maybe Epilog (HINT HINT) would....

Tony,
    I upgraded yesterday from X4. Great product! Today, while using X5, I had a need to use the 'Create Boundary' function.....and oooops! It's not in the menu anymore!

I checked the help file and it said it's supposed to be there (under the Effects Menu). Is this a bug...maybe?

Thanks
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Noted about the licenses. I'm afraid that this one is waaaaaaaay beyond my control.

You may know this, but you can purchase separate licenses from our customer service group, which come in at a much lesser amount then the price of a single box or single upgrade.

Eg. For 3 machines you don't need to buy 3 upgrades, you would buy 1 upgrade and 2 upgrade licenses.

I know that''s not the answer you are looking for, but maybe it helps???

T.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harvey View Post
    Tony,
    I upgraded yesterday from X4. Great product! Today, while using X5, I had a need to use the 'Create Boundary' function.....and oooops! It's not in the menu anymore! I checked the help file and it said it's supposed to be there (under the Effects Menu). Is this a bug...maybe?

Thanks
    Create Boundary was moved in with the other shaping functions, so it was added to the Shaping docker and with the Arrange>Shaping> functions. In addition it lives on the toolbar when you have multiple objects selected so you wouldn't have to use any menus to get to it.

T.

You could always run thinstall on your licensed copy and run corel from a USB stick, moving from machine to machine as necessary.

Downsides:
    1) It's quite complicated
    2) You'd take a performance hit running from USB
    3) There might be something in the licence against it.

EDIT:
    Or (easier) run Sun's (free) Virtualbox, and load your Corel into a virtual machine. For ease, you could save the ISO file onto your shared drive and access it from whichever machine you happen to be using.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 02-25-2010 at 3:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Severenuk (Corel) View Post
    Create Boundary was moved in with the other shaping functions, so it was added to the Shaping docker and with the Arrange>Shaping> functions. In addition it lives on the toolbar when you have multiple objects selected so you wouldn't have to use any menus to get to it.

T.
    Ahhh...Thanks Tony...and I thought I looked 'everywhere' for it.
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Tony,

How much of a resource hog is X5. I installed it today and it takes a loooong time to start.

Are there things that can be done to make it start up faster.?

Funny it reminds me of how Illustrator starts.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems