Thread: Cutting rails with a coping sled

Cutting rails with a coping sled

This is a two-part question related to cutting rails. The first question will be geared towards Rockler coping jig owners. I started playing around with a cabinet set I had purchased a while back (no name Chinese brand). As I was setting up for a rail cut, I noticed that the cutter was going to cut right into the Rockler's phenolic sled (I set up the bit to make a 1/16" lip on the rail). Is the rail cutter supposed to cut into the sled on the first cut or am I doing something wrong?

The second question is related to rail cut setup for 3/4" stock. I read in the American Woodworker magazine (#134 March/2008 isuue) that for appearance and strength, the lip should measure at least 1/16" and the rabbet should measure at least 3/16". When I set up my bit for 1/16" lip cut, the rabbet measures 1/8". If I try to make the rabbet more than 1/8", the lip becomes thinner. Do I have a bad rail/stile set or those are just general numbers specified in the magazine?

Q.1 Raise the bit and use a backer board.

Q.2 Add shims and lower the bit.
    Last edited by Richard Dragin; 02-23-2010 at 8:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dragin View Post
    Q.1 Raise the bit and use a backer board.

Q.2 Add shims and lower the bit.
    By raising the bit, won't that mess up the profile that I am shooting for? I am using a backer board to prevent a blow out on the end grain.

The rail bit did not come with any shims. Are all sets supposed to include shims for fine-adjustments?

Edit: I did find 2 round shims in the box
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 02-24-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Corrected fasle information