Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for media center ideas . . .

Randall

Thanks for the comments. Yes it is a floating design. The center case is suspended from the top and anchored at the four legs with wrought-iron angle brackets. I drilled, bent, and painted them before screwing them in place. They are incredibly strong - stronger than I would have originally thought. The case is anchored to the top with ten 2 1/2 inch screws. The angle brackets at the bottom of the case are each attached with five 3/4 to 1" screws. The underframe of the top is assembled with a half-lap joint and the legs are dominoed to the underframe. The piece is very heavy - solid wood in 4/4 and 5/4 through-out and strong.

Drawers were made from 1/2" hard maple and run on blum full-extension undermount glides.

The piece is a blend of a mission style with oriental influence. The legs, for example, are reverse tapered. The laminated arches add to the oriental influence along with the reeded glass. But the hardware and straight grain QSRO bring in the mission look.

It was adapted from a piece made several years back by Jason Tuinistra - a member here at SMC. His website with his work is at [www makerofshaker dot com]. Jason was nice enough to answer a few questions for me and send me a dimensioned drawing of his piece, which I expanded and adapted.

Jason and I both got inspiration from Thomas Moser - [www thosmoser dot com] who has several pieces in that style.

I did create a sketchup model of the piece, based on measurements from Jason's piece as well as from going to the showroom for Thomas Moser.

I might add that if you have Sketchup, you can go to the 3D Warehouse for Sketchup and search for Thomas Moser and find models of a number of their pieces, though they are 'shells' only without the level of detail you'd want to build from.

If you'd like a copy of the Sketchup file, PM me with your email address and I'll be glad to provide it.

Thanks - and good luck

neil
    Last edited by Neil Clemmons; 03-02-2010 at 10:16 PM.