Thread: Another Road Trip

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Another Road Trip

Traveling through the heartland of America, (all covered with cheese) while completing my appointed rounds, got a chance to hook up with my boat building Sensei, Dave Richards and witnessed the MOASC. Always good to swap WW tails and ideas. #1 son is getting to be quite the little man.
    I stopped in a few antique shops looking for hidden treasure. Not the great finds I hoped but treasure just the same. When I explained that I was a student and not just a collector, one of the shop keepers took me around to his "preferred stock". He also gave me the names of some other dealers in the area the specialized in Neander merchandise.
    Couple items of interest the small bench plane was a gimmy that will just be a paper weight. The other two are both salvageable and on queue for fettling. The 1920s vintage cabinet scrapper is in mint condition never used. Thanks to Creeker Tom La Russa there are a couple LV irons in route.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 11-01-2004 at 11:41 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler,

Looks like your in with both feet! Good man!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

At least part of my prediction came true

Now you're haunting antique tool dealers. The next step is going to flea markets and tool auctions. I predict within a year you end up registering on the Old Tools List aka "the porch". You are in deep and getting in deeper. Let us know when you remove the lights and wiring in the shop and install oil lamps and a wind or water powered line shaft to run your tailed beasts.

Nest time you're up this way give me a call and I can make things worse by introducting you to a coupla the local antique tool dealers. ROTFLMAO
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,

I was up in concord about 2 weeks ago, I wish I would have thought about it I would have paid you a visit.

Keith

That should be "sensei," which is Japanese for teacher, master, not "Sen Sae." Not trying to be a smart aleck, just letting you know for the future.

Pam

Tyler,
    It sounds as if you're enjoying your slide down this slope as much as I. It really is fun rummaging around the antique store and such. I think New England is a much more fertile soil for old tools hawever, and I hope to hook up with some of Dave's sources in the next year or so when I get baack to Boston. Happy hunting!

Mark,
    A frind is a tool dealer, and a member of gthe MIdwest Tool Collectors ASs'n. He just got back from St. Louis, from a show/meeting/sale. I think it is an annual event, so you might want to keep you eyes open next SEpt. or Oct.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer
    That should be "sensei," which is Japanese for teacher, master, not "Sen Sae." Not trying to be a smart aleck, just letting you know for the future.

Pam
    Thank you sensei!
    Spell check was no help.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Alan,
    I wish I had known. It didn't seem to be advertised, but I'm sure there wasn't a high demand! Any ideas how to look out for it? Web sites, etc?

Mark

Hey Tyler,

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Traveling through the heartland of America, (all covered with cheese) while completing my appointed rounds, got a chance to hook up with my boat building Sen Sae Dave Richards and witnessed the MOASC.

MOASC?

the small bench plane was a gimmy that will just be a paper weight.

What's wrong with that little smoother? Looks to me (from that pic) like a nice little user, given a bit of elbow grease.

The 1920s vintage cabinet scrapper is in mint condition never used. Thanks to Creeker Tom La Russa there are a couple LV irons in route.
    Gulp.

I sure hope I was right about them fitting! I spoke kind of quick at the time. But I think there's nothing particularly special about the blade for a number 80, so I'm still hopeful that I was right. Mine came with a piece of fairly random looking metal as a blade and it works fine.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Hey Tom,
    MOASC. Not sure if it's "Mother Of All" or "Monster Of All Shop Cabinets". Dave showed me his latest creations and it is a mother! The thing I like was he was using almost all scraps to build this beast. I'm sure we'll be getting an update shortly.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12470

The Little smoother has seen better days, broken in the front (a little glue).
    Don't know if this is standard but there is a very rusty bolt holding it together. the wedge is missing, the iron and chip breaker are rusted together and the sole in front of the mouth is real ragged. Salvageable ?? Maybe, I've spent so much time getting set up lately I'd actually like to "make something". This one is low on the list.

As for the #80!!! I'm holding you personally responsible for for these Irons !!!
    Hey if it don't work, I'll try something else .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    MOASC. Not sure if it's "Mother Of All" or "Monster Of All Shop Cabinets".

Wow! That's both a mother and a monster all right!

Cool.

And, like you, I appreciate somebody who makes something useful out of what is essentially junk.

The Little smoother has seen better days, broken in the front (a little glue).
    Don't know if this is standard but there is a very rusty bolt holding it together. the wedge is missing, the iron and chip breaker are rusted together and the sole in front of the mouth is real ragged.
    Salvageable ??

Hmmm...

Well, the rusty bolt is pretty standard, as well as the iron and chipbreaker being rusted together. The ragged mouth is fairly typical, and the glued together front is not exactly unheard of.

All in all I'd say it's a project, but it's certainly not hopeless.

Hey, I've still got my electrolysis stuff set up. If you send me the blade and breaker I'll give them a bath for you.

And Bob Smalser did one of his excellent tutorials recently on how to put a new sole/mouth on a woodie.

I've spent so much time getting set up lately I'd actually like to "make something". This one is low on the list.

I know the feeling. I'm getting a bit impatient with my hacker bench project, because I need a bench to work on -- like last month!

As for the #80!!! I'm holding you personally responsible for for these Irons !!!
    Hey if it don't work, I'll try something else .
    Gulp.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.