Thread: Painted Entertainment Center (pic)

Painted Entertainment Center (pic)

Hi All.

Here is an Entertainment Center that I've just completed. I still have to add the handles, but it's pretty much there.

I shamelessly copied this one from Pottery Barn.

It has several wood products in it.

MDO for the case
    Poplar for the frame
    MDF for the door panels
    Some Maple - when I underestimated my poplar needs
    Birch plywood for the top

The drawers are full-extension.

I primed it with Kilz Premium and then painted it an Ivory paint. I was going to use Milkpaint but Woodcraft only had one bag of the white so I went with an Ivory colored water-based paint.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Grennier
    "Out of the Pond and into the Creek"

Thumbs up Very nice Mike

And you probably saved about $500 from the Pottery Barn price
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Actually $750 - and no shipping!
    Mike Grennier

And it looks great, too.

KC

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Thumbs up NICE!

Very nice Mike, it looks great. Did you allow for ventilation in the back of the cabinet? The big CRT TV’s really crank out the heat now days.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice Job Mike!

Did you use the MDO for the supporting shelves as well as the case work? Where did you find the MDO? Seems like the borgs haven't caught on to it around here.

Nice work, really like the beadboard detail on the panels.

Regards,
    Randy

That's nice. I personally like armoirs for the tv, close the doors and you have an instantly clean party room.
    Jim

Answers to your questions on EC

Hi all.

Thanks for the nice comments on the Entertainment Center. It was my first big project with no plans - just a catalog picture and a patient wife!...

Rear Ventilation - I did allow for ventilation on the back cavity where the TV goes and for the components. I basically used hardboard for the back. I cut large horizontal openings in the top and bottom of the back. That should allow for some good venting. I'll post a pic later.

MDO - I sourced this from a wood supplier in Flint, MI - Central Michigan Lumber. They had the choice of two sided or one sided MDO, I went with the one sided.

The entire case - including the shelves is MDO. The only MDF are the actual door panels.

Here's an "in process" pic that shows the MDO better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Grennier

Thumbs up Entertainment Center

It really looks great!
    You might check out "Navaho White", for a variation on "subdued white" in waterbase paint from any supplier. We get it at both Home Depot and Lowe's.
    MDO around southwestern PA: I can't buy it directly from Weyerhaeuser (wholesaler), I have to go to the closest retailer and in my case that is 84 Lumber. So purchase from 84 and pick up (with hardhat on!) from Weyerhaeuser. I buy two sided to even out the moisture absorbtion.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Another "looks great Mike".

One of the projects on my "SWMBO to do list" is a Pottery Barn inspired coffee table. It has drawers underneath for putting all the junk we usually keep on top. I'll have to show the Mrs. you pic, and then I'll have 2 PB projects.

Chris