Thread: Cherry Box

Cherry Box

This three cornered box is all made from cherry. It stands 12 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" wide at the box. At present it has no finish and not glued together. I am trying to decide if I should ebonize the pedestal and finial or just leave it all as is and finish it with antique oil. Would sure appreciate your opinions on my dilemma and any other comments. Thanks Ron

Cherry Box.JPG Unassembled Cherry Box.JPG

Very nice work Ron! Great form! I kinda like the monochromatic theme you have here and would vote to just go with an oil or oil based poly finish. Should turn a rich color in the future - enhancing the overall beauty of the piece even more!

Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really nice piece Ron. I could actually see it both ways either leaving it as is or ebonizing it. Myself I would probably leave as is with a rich oil finish should make it stand out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I tend toward a slight amount of black accent myself. Here's a similar goblet with some accenting (might at least give you some idea whether you like it or not):

Jeepers you guys are talented around here!

I'm kinda partial to the antique oil look myself.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

very nice Ron, your choice

Very nice Ron. I like the way cherry ages naturally, but the black accents on Frank's piece add some interesting contrast.

First, let me say that you have surely done a nice job on this one!! I like the look, and I think very much black will look to heavy on an otherwise very light piece. I love the look of cherry after an application of BLO, followed with shellac. Then, I think the piece deserves a little sheen to it, so perhaps either a shellac or lacquer finish - not gloss, but something that would have a little build to it. Since you will need to be cautious with any buffing, you need to consider that.

Beautiful! Guess I would stay natural, a little Danish oil or mineral oil and a little wax hand buffed. A little time in the sun light and as someone already mentioned, it will darken. Again, very nice.

Ron as I was reading your post and questions, the thought that came to me was dark like black will make it look heavy, and I see John Keeton has the same opinion on it, I thought maybe make just the finial black, though that's not really needed either.

I am partial to Polymerized tung oil it will yellow the wood the least and still bring out the grain, it will have a good build by 3 or 4 coats and be smooth and shiny without a high gloss, and even that can be had with some buffing.

It is a very nice piece and will look even better after the color matures in the light to that dark honey gold
    Have fun and take care

Looks great right now but will only get better with age if you leave it natural.

I think I like the idea of a natural finish. It's a beautiful form, and I'd love to see the finished photos whatever you decide.

Seeing this in the dis-assembled state and unfinished, it looks like it came from the deluxe can of Tinkertoys. It sure has a smooth and delicate flow to it. The proportions are perfect. It almost needs to be finished in the natural colors of the wood to keep all of that together, imho.

This is a fine piece Ron.I certainly admire your talent and thanks for sharing this with us. I have to agree with most of the comments on keeping it the way it is, with a natural finish. I really don't think it needs anything but what mother nature will give it and the depth the oil would give it. I just love this piece! Nice work.

Well, I glued the box together, NO ebonizing. Thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated. Ron