Thread: Open segment candle holder

Open segment candle holder

Two candle holders for tea lite candles, birch, mahogany and walnut with bloodwood ring top. 12 segments per layer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Ray, I like segmenting but am afraid to try it.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice, Ray, very nice. About how large are they? Are they your first open segmented turnings? I have wanted to try them but can't seem to find the time to do all the things I want to do...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Ray -

Those are really nice. How did you get the consistent spacing between the segments? Any problems with catches?

Regards,
    Ted

some answers

Each layer is 3/8" so they are 4.75" high and 5.25 " diameter at widest part.

Catches?? yes these are possible - the wood is oriented with the grain so it shears easily. When hollowing - catches will cause the things to break, most are repairable as the breaks follow the glue lines.

Alignment is done with a jig to set the diameter and the index wheel on the lathe. Mine has 24 stops so a 12 segment setup is easy. For situations where more or less segments are used - one must use a secondary index wheel drawn with the required number of segments and some form of holding the stops at the right position. William Smith has a book "Segmented Wood Turning" that explains the index system and how to build the simple jig for the diameter. He also shows in detail several techniques for building these.

For larger pieces they can be assembled in sections and glued together.