Thread: WoodMaster 3875 mobility ???

WoodMaster 3875 mobility ???

WoodMaster 3875 mobility ???

For those of you that have the WoodMaster 3875 sander what are you using for mobility? Have any of you just put wheels with a threaded stem in were the leveling legs normally go or are you using a specific base that you like or would recommend? The sander has a ship weight of about 800 lb’s.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I constructed a simple and cheap platfrom of 2x4's and plywood w/ the appropriate casters--2 of which are locking. Does the job.

Richard,

Although somewhat expensive, I bought the "heavy duty" mobile base they recommend for it. It really makes it easy to move and is built for the weight.

WoodMaster 3875 Mobility

Hi Richard,

What Don Johnson said. When I ordered my 3875 on 12-10-07 I also ordered the HTC700 Heavy Duty Mobil Base for the 3875. It was $299.00 with purchase of the sander. I don't know what it would cost as a single purchase. I would contact Woodmaster and get the price if I were you. As you said, the sander is 800+ lbs. and the Mobil base makes it easy to move. The Mobil base comes with locking wheels. I had to assemble it but good instructions come with it. It is made for that weight so you can't go wrong. I thank after spending almost $3500.00 for the sander then a few more hundred bucks was well worth being able to move it around. Check it out with a call to Woodmaster. Hope this helps. I think you made a good choice purchasing the woodmaster. I upgraded from a 16/32 Performax sander and have never looked back. Have a good day and enjoy your Woodmaster.

Hi Richard,

My old 38" Woodmaster sander had a home made welded frame mobile base similar to the HTC & it worked fine.

My 50" Woodmaster tips the scale at about 1,000 lbs & I move it around almost effortlessly without any mobile base.... That is with either my skid steer or a pallet jack.

Seriously a pallet jack slides perfectly under the cross pieces, easily moves it around. Plus the pallet jack can be used to move other equipment/materials and you should be able to find one for less than the cost of a base.

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Richard, I was just blessed with a real nice Woodmaster 3820 double drum sander off CL for about 1/3 of list. Always the frugal bargain hunter, no way will I spend $300 for a mobile stand!

I will build a close approximation of that HTC mobile stand for just a few bucks. I already have 2-1/2" angle iron and 3-1/2" casters rated for 250 pounds each. Just waiting for the weather to break, since I must do my welding outside!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks for all the input from you experienced WoodMaster owners, lot of good ideas I do especially like the idea of the pallet jack as I could have use one in my shop several times now. Looking at Craig’s list there are some in my area for cheap.

Thanks for the ideas
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I just had a problem with mine. When I P/U mine from CL, I took it off the base to move it to the basement. I purchased some Wood River 3" casters #148595 from Woodcraft. They should hold the weight. I reassembled the machine, pushed it about 5' and the sheet metal base flanges bent. I had to jack up the machine, and made a base out of 2 pieces of 1" by 2" tubing. But it was a PITA to get it up high enough to jack it up the rest of the way. Works great now. Steve.

Richard,

The one thing you need to check is the width or opening of the stringer on the 38" vs the width of the forks on the pallet jack.

On my 50" I have lots of room, more than a foot of play (50" - 38" = 12"). I can give you an exact figure tomorrow on how much extra room I have, but my gut reaction is this combination should work in moving the 38"

One option that is a GREAT addition to the sander or the planer is the feed roller reversing switch. It saves a lot of walking on set ups for dialing in the initial pass.

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dailey View Post
    Richard,

The one thing you need to check is the width or opening of the stringer on the 38" vs the width of the forks on the pallet jack.

jim
    Jim I can check tomorrow as well with the jack we have at work…But I think you are right it should fit.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I just went and looked in the shop and the width or opening underneath the sander is 38-¾’’ and checking on line most standard jacks are 27’’ wide so most of them will work.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought mine as a bank repo unit. It came with a Shop Fox roller unit. Works ok but seams a little light duty.
    The Plane Anarchist