Thread: A small project turn into an obsession

A small project turn into an obsession

There has been a few threads on what do you do with your scraps so I have to make a few thing for a fundraiser that going to be for my grandson. So when you are a obsessive & compulsive kinda person like me I don't know when to stop. But my wife does. I made two sets of wooden building blocks with a wagon for each set. Each set has 100 blocks, guess what I have about 300 left over.....It gets worse I made 5 small cutting boards for cheese & two larger ones & 6 sushi trays......My wife wants to have me committed

The reason for this obsession is our grandson who is 5 was diagnosed with leukemia a week before Christmas. Insurance won't pay it all so their doing a fundraiser to try to help out with the bills. If your interested you can go to www.patricksfund.com. I'm not in any way soliciting any thing from anyone who happens to go there. We still don't believe this is happening to him he has treatment for two years. If this against the rules please delete the web site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 02-25-2010 at 5:24 PM.

That's awesome - well done! I think we should all be committed to be honest so you are no worse than the rest of us. My scraps go into the fireplace - I wish I was as creative and focused as you.

3. Jay, I like your cheese board, I make one similar to it. The feet are kind of interesting, are they actually cut out or is there a hand hold routed into the side to give the illusion? Wally

Its a hand hold. I did a end grain one a while back with the corners as the feet. It sagged a little in the middle. I wouldn't think 1 1/2 " thick would but it did.

Jay,
    Those blocks are going to make someone very happy. You might as well finish off the last 300 because you know someone else will want a set. That's the way it goes with toys. Looks like you will be snowed in for awhile anyway. By the way, what did you build to get all the neat scraps?
    Brian

No snow up here Brian. Windy and rain. The last storm you got down there we got rain..The scraps are from past jobs. Purple Heart & Jotoba were from two kitchens. Mahogany was from a bunch of interior doors. Yellow Heart, Maple & Lyptus was from small projects & the red oak was from a display cabinet. I never liked to get rid of the scraps so I found a use for them. There are many more left, let see what I can obsess about next.

Blog Entries
    That is absolutely awesome! I remember playing with blocks with similar shapes in 1st grade. Wow!
    Have a Nice Day!

great job on those blocks. there are going to be a couple of happy kids

Scraps to us and treasures to the little ones!
    Thanks for the idea Jay. And good luck with your fund raiser.

Excellent use of scraps!

Jay, as a grandfather of 13, I pray that your grandson does well with his treatment. It is hard to understand why these things happen, but don't lose faith.

Nice work on the projects, and an excellent use of scraps.

Very nicely done and ditto JK on your grandson... hope the auction goes well and I have a feeling it will..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Very nicely done and ditto JK on your grandson... hope the auction goes well and I have a feeling it will..
    Ditto.

Those scraps would also make for some great inlay patterns too!

Looks like good therapy.

There is a pre-teen across my street that went through leukemia as a 3 or 4 year old. Cure happens.