Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #17 Chinaberry - the 'tween bowl

very nice....pm sent

You guys are great! You are kind enough to keep looking at these things, and I appreciate the supportive comments.

Roland, Chinaberry was new to me, as well. Apparently, it is an invasive, fast growing tree throughout the South, but not in KY. Mike Smith told me that they aren't very strong, and blow down a lot in storms. But, getting one of any size isn't common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    One question on the rim treatment though. Are you turning the bead with a skew/other tool or are you using a beading tool?
    Toney, I roughed the bead with the bowl gouge, and then finished it with a Thompson 3/8" detail gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Do you plan the form around the intended use or the use around the intended form?
    Robert, none of them have an "intended use" yet! They are sitting all over the place, and I am hoping my kids will take some of them!! At this point, I am just experimenting with various forms, cuts, etc. - like a kid in a toy shop. I thought at some point I would settle into "what I liked", but it seems I like it all.

Just learned the power company is taking out 6-7 trees in the front of my neighbors acreage - couple walnuts, Bradford pears, redbud, hickory. BL (before lathe) I would have felt bad for him, but my first question was "can I get some of that wood?" I tried to get the smile off my face!

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    By the way your signature on the bottom, how do you get that on there?Is it something that you had made up and just put a # on it and stick it to the bottom or what? I like it.
    Donny
    Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    BTW do you make your little "signature rings" or purchase them?
    These are 1.5" maple and cherry medallions that have been cut with a laser, and recessed for a penny. Can't find any 2010 pennies yet! Another creeker, George Perzel, made them for me, but I am sure you could get someone local with a laser machine to do them. These aren't plywood - they are cut from solid stock.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Just learned the power company is taking out 6-7 trees in the front of my neighbors acreage - couple walnuts, Bradford pears, redbud, hickory. BL (before lathe) I would have felt bad for him, but my first question was "can I get some of that wood?" I tried to get the smile off my face!
    Ah, the sweet music of the chainsaw calling from the woods!

John, another very nice bowl. You have a great eye for form. Beautiful wood too.

Nice one John, pretty color also, I was wondering if you could use some thinned shellac to stiffen those hairs up, and then sand them off.
    I find with Walnut that I quite often get some raised grain especially if there's sapwood, but after a coat of tung has hardened for a day I can easily remove them with some 0000 steel-wool.
    The ogee shape is nice, but it looks like you have a bit of a bulge about halve way up, unless it is the picture tricking me, the bead looks good on the inside, as I would not expect a bowl/plate like this one to ever be used as a working bowl, it's just too nice for that, well done John
    Have fun and take care

5. great piece and a cheering section to boot!

John,

You do great work! Chinaberry? where did you get that from, and is it commonly available?

Great form and the rim treatment is very nice indeed - perhaps the greatest is to have a spouse in your corner cheering you on! Mine does as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    ...I was wondering if you could use some thinned shellac to stiffen those hairs up, and then sand them off.
    The ogee shape is nice, but it looks like you have a bit of a bulge about halve way up, unless it is the picture tricking me...
    Leo, I used BLO and a couple of coats of shellac, buffing with some medium and 000 steel wool between coats, forward and reverse. Seemed to help. I think the "bulge" is the pic. I ended up with a pretty smooth curve on this one. It may be a reflection from one of the growth rings??

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Chinaberry? where did you get that from, and is it commonly available?
    This piece came from Mike Smith, www.easternncwoodworkers.com Great guy, and has some fantastic wood at very reasonable prices. No affilliation - well, that isn't quite true. I think I have made his last two truck payments!!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Ah, the sweet music of the chainsaw calling from the woods!
    Curt, the good part is - the power company cuts it all up and stacks it. All I have to do is throw it in the truck! They are putting in new lines out in our area, and they have cut a bunch of trees. I have already scavanged some walnut, cottonwood (one of your woods!), and some sycamore.

Beautiful, John - the form, the color & details. In fact, I'd say this is the best form yet. I also really enjoy seeing the little details that you put into each piece, such as the rim bead and foot bead in this one.

So I think I have to ask a question. Are you ever going to go back to work, or just retire and turn all day?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Looks very special to me. Not only the rim looks special but the foot does as well. It's a very nice looking design.

Very unique bowl, I like it.

John, you are really doing some great turning. I like this bowl a lot and I especially like the rim treatment.

Dale

John,

Very nice bowl. I agree that the "bulge" is an optical illusion caused by the growth ring. I've not turned chinaberry, is the wood fairly light? I'm also looking forward to the cottonwood you procured from the power company cutting. I've not done cottonwood either, we have some on our property, but I don't want to cut any of them. They give great shade in the summer, but are a pain though with all the falling limbs, maybe a big limb will come down and I can turn it.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Just like the rest... I like it!!

And I'm very jealous of what the power company is providing for you!!!

We just had a demo at our woodturning club and the subject of the ogee form was discussed. Our demonstrator (professional bowl turner) said that most turner overdo the curves on the ogee. His recommendation was to keep it simple. Just enough to show the curve without the dominance. Most beginning turners make "a highly technical shape" trying to show their skill. Making the simple shape beautiful is one of the true challenges of bowl turning

What's not to like? You've gotten this "form and feel thing" in the bag, John. I really enjoy seeing your work.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Your kind comments are, again, certainly appreciated.

Steven, the Chinaberry is very light, and obviously a fast growing tree. Apparently the cottonwood spalts easily, and I am going to try to get some to do just that. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Most beginning turners make "a highly technical shape" trying to show their skill. Making the simple shape beautiful is one of the true challenges of bowl turning.
    Bob, I can certainly relate to that!!! And, I admit to overdoing it, as well as just plain not getting it right - but, it ain't for lack of effort!!