Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me where to stand at the Tablesaw?

Blog Entries
    Stand where you are comfortable making the cut and can control the cut. Kickbacks are far less likely to occur if you keep the wood under control at all times. I generally stand to the left of the blade and clear of any narrow pieces that would be between the fence and the blade. Use feather boards religiously. And most important if you are uncomfortable with how a cut feels, stop and find another way to do it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I stand where I have the most contol, I've never had a kick-back. Make sure your fence is set a few thousandths further from the blade at the back end, and when ripping crowned stock, keep the crown-side toward the fence and concentrate on staying tight to the fence at the areas adjacent to the front and rear of the blade, rather than the whole fence. When cutting bowed stock, keep the high side down.

Stay fluid, which can tend to be trickier on medium and longer rips. Don't do a side-shuffle, walk with one foot in front of the other (eggshell-style) to keep the stock moving steadily. Keep a slightly favorable rotational force (or diagonal in the case of sheet goods) toward the back end of the fence. Try to push from the back end of the board rather than the sides, you won't have to constantly re-locate both hand positions, losing fluidity. Start with your back (pushing) hand fingers down, pushing with your palm and fingers (wrapped underneath), front hand doing the guiding. As you get closer to the table front, rotate the palm of your back hand into a fingers-upward position (while still pushing the whole time), and then tranfer the pushing power to your thumb, never losing your steady forward momentum. Listen to the tune of the cut for consistency.

Control the operation, don't let it control you.

Smaller and less powerful saws are more likely to cause kick-back than cabinet saws.
    Last edited by Thomas Allan; 02-26-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    Good thread. I am somewhat confused about some of the kickbacks. I know when sheet goods kickback, they seem to come off the left side of the blade flying like a helicopter blade, chopping down everything in their path. So standing to the left seems to be in the line of fire. It's where I stand when cutting.
    Yep

I have been hit twice.

First time was cross cutting 3/4" sheets of plywood by myself on a Delta contractors saw while trying to finish up a job.

I had thought I could overpower the 1/2 hp saw is there was a problem... no way.

The piece that came back knocked me right off my feet.
    I have had to cut plywood all to often in the field with no or poor feed tables.. the best approach it to control that captive piece at all costs. If it gets loose the blade will spin it back with force, even on small saws.

I remember reading an article in some magazine about where to stand. The author recommended standing outside the miter slots. I think the author was Marc Adams, but not certain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Being right handed, I stand to the left of the blade and stock. I never stand behind the blade.
    bingo

tententen
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I stand where I am most comfortable making the cut and have most control over it, as Lee said. I also stand where I can see the blade the best in relation to my fingers and also see the fence so I can keep the workpiece flushed to it. Occfasionally when finishing a cut and having a cutoff I think could possibly catch in the blade becoming a bullet I will shift my position shere I think I'm out of the 'line of fire'.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I am more like Larry, I stand where I feel I have the best control. Wheb I do all my cross cuts with the miter gauge on the left and my rips on the right side.

I feel that when ripping and have the wood trapped between the fence and the blade that is when I will have the most chance of a problem. I am on the right side. I have even moved my switch to the right so it is right by my knee if I need to kill the saw.

I guess if I was to make a statement that matched most of my cutting it would be this. I stand on the side of the largest part of the wood. This is the part that I am controlling and the cut off could go flying.
    ME TOO!

To me, there are two fundamental issues:
    1) keep body parts out of the blade
    2) avoid kickback.

I just cannot get comfortable with reaching over the blade.... so I stand on the right. I never have to reach over the blade, and I feel I have complete control of the workpiece.

My $0.02

-TH

I don't even worry about being hit by kickbacks. Not to say I don't try my best to avoid them, but I am much more concerned with where my hands are and where will they go when and if I slip up. Standing behind the blade is more comfortable for me and lets me ride my hand on the rip fence for narrow cuts. I do this in such a way that if I slip my hand would lurch into the fence and not towards the blade. I also use my blade guard and riving knife for the majority of cuts.

I've been hit with a couple of kickbacks ( and I'm tall with long legs, right in the jewels). I still would rather stand where I have the most control, rather than where I think I might avoid the kick back caused by a loss of control.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    ........Where should I stand when ripping on the table saw. As it is now, I stand behind the blade and push through with my right hand...........Stand where you have the best control and hopefully the best view. The exact position should change pretty much with different sizes and weights of the pieces. I usually push forward with my right hand and control the piece with my left hand if a large piece. The control is just helping push straight with just slight pressure against the fence until obviously close to the blade. You dont want to pinch the wood. When cutting large pieces of plywood, my physical position in relationship to the blade changes as I am cutting. Tony B
    When folks say they stand out of the line of fire, how do they do it? Probably very dangerously. If you have to go out of your way to NOT stand in the line of fire, more than likely you are not in the best position for controlling the workpiece and you might actually be the cause of kickback and loss of control. Tony B
    And push sticks are always a good idea. Common sense and experience will tell you when to and when not to.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I stand on my feet

Sorry about that....

I think the most important thing is where NOT to stand... and that is behind the work piece (to avoid potential kick back injuries)

-jj

It depends on what type of a push stick I am using. If I am running my Unisaw without an overhead guard, the hold down has to be high enough to clear the ungaurded blade and to keep the workpiece down tight on the table as you follow through with the cut past the back of the blade. Your natural position is to the left side of the blade path. I had to get smacked once to learn the hard way. Then I added a top holddown featherboard and a good featherboard to the left of and just in front of the blade to keep the workpiece tight against the fence. My new safety setup has worked very well with no additional kickback incidents.

P.S. It hurts like hell to get smacked by kickback.

I forgot to mention that my next accident provention move was to add an additional safety switch below the table surface so I can cut power with my knee so I can keep pressure on the workpiece with both hands for the exciting time while the blade stops turning.

Blog Entries
    I generally stand to the side of the blade where the larger portion of the material being cut is. This is just natural for me as it gives me more control over the heavier piece of stock and generally keeps my hands farther away from the business end of the saw. I try not to stand inline with the blade but I also try not to over-reach either. If I can't fully control the material all the way through the cut, I fall back and figure out what I am doing wrong. Don't play "just this once"; the odds are all on the saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Interesting thread with a few very interesting comments.

I stand where I can most easily control the material being cut. I don't worry about kickback but rather concentrate on keeping the stock tight against the fence and pushing it past the blade in one smooth, continuous motion. There is no way that I can not stand behind the blade at some point during the cut...usually towards the end as I'm finishing the pass.

Any safety weenie type will tell you that hazard recognition and mitigation go hand in hand. If you can't eliminate the hazard, then reduce the chance of it resulting in an incident.

Kickback is always a hazard with a tablesaw. It can't be eliminated entirely but it can be reduced to a remote possibility by the use of guards, splitters, riving knives and most importantly, technique.

During a rip cut (which I think we are mostly talking about here) keeping the stock against the fence until it is past the blade will virtually eliminate the chance of kickback. Even with reactive wood that starts pinching against the blade, most would recognize it occurring well before it caused a kickback, even with no splitter. Personally I think the reactive wood causing kickback idea is way overblown.

In order to keep the stock against the fence while continuously feeding it through the blade and also watching the stock against the fence (not the blade) I think the blade must be between you and the fence.

I really don't see how one could stand behind the fence and do all three...watch the stock, keep it against the fence, do it in one continuous motion.

Standing in an awkward position to control the stock, out of fear of kickback, will likely result in the very thing you are attempting to avoid.

As always, that's strictly my opinion and your's may (probably will) differ.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Lightbulb Thanks Jeff...

First of all, thanks to you Jeff for the original post. I've only begun to get serious about my woodworking over the last year, and this exact question was bugging me too. I too felt "I should know this or be able to figure it out" and thought I'd post when I had a little more experience.

All of the good responses have helped clarify the how, and more importantly, the WHY, in my head. My goal is to develop good safe habits early rather than have to unlearn bad ones.

One of the reasons this topic bugged me is that I'm a southpaw, and I wondered if that made any difference. Certainly it means that some operations initially feel more foreign to me with my right hand than others.

I couldn't help but notice that many of the replies included the fact that the poster was right handed, as if that makes a difference. I believe the proper safe technique is the same (given the same saw setup) whether you are right or left handed. Let me explain why, and please speak up if you see flaws in my logic. Here goes:

The saw geometry doesn't change just because the user's handedness changes. I'm purposely leaving aside (for now) the fact that in theory you can set up a saw with the fence rails biased to the left OR the right. Pretty much every saw I've ever seen is set up with the extension table and majority of the fence rails (and the rip fence itself) on the right.

In this saw configuration, when ripping, you always want the work tight against the fence and tight against the table, and you never want to stand directly behind the blade. You could stand to the left or the right. If you stand to the left, it is very easy to bias your hand pressure toward the rip fence. You are pushing in that direction a little bit, using your stance, weight, and arm pressure. It's easy to use both hands, the right to push and the left to guide.

If on the other hand you stand to the right of the blade, it is much more difficult to apply force to keep the stock tight against the fence. You either have to pull (harder to do and not very effective), or lean way to the left to try to push. Either way it seems awkward, and we all know (at least in theory) the penalty for allowing the rear corner or the wood to move away from the fence. I can't see at all how you would feed sheet goods standing to the right of the blade. This position does have the advantage that you are out of the way of wood kicking back over top of the blade CCW to the left, but it seems the chances of kickback are much greater with this stance.

Now for me I'm mostly ambidextrous (can't write with my right hand, but can do just about anything else) so standing to the left works. If I had a stronger bias toward my left hand I think I would have to set up my saw with the rails and rip fence to the left (and get a right tilt saw) to get the same effect safely.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.