Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Pulled The Trigger...

Just Pulled The Trigger...

..On a new Grizzly G1023RL. The bad news is that the delivery date is May 11! The only 10" saw, cabinet or contractor in stock, is the 690. The 690 is $125 more than the new 1023. I guess the wait is the price you pay for the newer style with riving knife and upgraded dust collection. Oh well, guess I'll get busy getting the shop organized...gonna be a long 2 1/2 months.

Should be "Pulled" The Trigger. Anyway to edit the thread title?
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 02-26-2010 at 6:19 PM.

That is a long time to wait. Is the wait because they are not in full production yet?

Joe, you're in the same position as me and my Hammer A3-31. Just get the garage cleaned up and have the spot all ready. Congrats on the purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    That is a long time to wait. Is the wait because they are not in full production yet?
    Glen, I'm not sure, they did say that this was the initial shipment so it sounds like they haven't delivered a single unit yet. I know they've been advertising this new model for a few months now so that's kinda surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W Armstrong View Post
    Joe, you're in the same position as me and my Hammer A3-31. Just get the garage cleaned up and have the spot all ready. Congrats on the purchase!
    Just checked out your thread, congrats! sounds like a great deal, especially the free delivery.
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 02-26-2010 at 8:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    How long ago did you guys place your order and what date did they give you?
    There's a thread around on this. I placed it today and it will be shipped the first week of May.

A few?? They've only been advertising the new 1023 since January 1st.

I'm sure the folks who ordered the new model won't end up waiting until May.

Jason

Glen, I'm not sure, they did say that this was the initial shipment so it sounds like they haven't delivered a single unit yet. I know they've been advertising this new model for a few months now so that's kinda surprising.

..On a new Grizzly G1023RL. The bad news is that the delivery date is May 11!
    Time will NEVER again move as slowly as it does between now and May 11th

Congrats, though! I just looked at one at a garage sale, and ... so far ... just couldn't do it!

One thing to wait for a Felder/Hammer from Austria - quite another to wait for a Griz with 3 US warehouses. Lots of imports from Taiwan in the states already. Maybe the price makes it worth it
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I would have spent the extra $125 and got the G0690. Thats just me though.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I would have spent the extra $125 and got the G0690. Thats just me though.
    Highly agreed. When I decide to buy something, hell I don't even want to wait the car ride to go pick it up! I'd be at the plant with a bullhorn yelling at people to hurry the hell up and get mine off the line!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

New saw

I think that qualifies as piss poor production, inventory and distribution control. They might what to consider undertaking some process improvement initiatives. How companies that operate this way and stay in business, amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Walls View Post
    I think that qualifies as piss poor production, inventory and distribution control. They might what to consider undertaking some process improvement initiatives. How companies that operate this way and stay in business, amaze me.
    I think you are completly incorrect here. I think a company that has product in enough demand that it has a waiting list for new product is doing a lot of things correctly. Although not strictly analogical by any means look at Ferrari's business model the 2-3-4 year waiting list for their 8 cylinder cars seems to work pretty well. The key with Grizzly is they offer the best bang for the buck in a usually readily available full line machine importer. They (Grizzly) can't always deliver the item you want at the time you want it but neither can Jet/PM, Delta or any of the other importers. A company that carried a lot of inventory over the last year and a half is probably one talking to a bankruptcy attorney.

Well I didn't start this thread to condemn or berate Grizzly's business practices. Heck I wouldn't be plunking down $1200 on one of their saws if I didn't think they sold a great product. I'm really excited about my purchase and I'll wait the time in order to get it. I just thought it was odd that they have yet to deliver a saw that has been advertised in their catalog since Jan 1, and won't be until more than 5 months after the release of the catalog. Unless I was mistaken the sales person clearly said "initial delivery".
    As for the 690, it's a great saw, but there are two improvements in the new 1023 line, namely the serpentine drive belt replacing the three belt system which many here have had negative comments about, and the improved dust collection. This is something else many cabinet saw users have said could use improvement. The new saw uses an incapsulated dust shroud below the blade to improve dust collection at the source.

In the same Boat (could be litterly)

Joe,
    I feel your pain, I just ordered a Powermatic PM2700 5 hp shaper and they are out of stock and it is on back order til May. But I got a sweet deal ($2,765 with lift gate) so I am not complaining, besides I have a router table that works just fine. I think a really good product is worth waiting for.