Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strip canoe

I have not beveled the forms. I did not see any problem with the strips contacting some of the forms on the edge.

There are multiple ways to do any of the steps, and ways to fix almost any error. It can be useful to look over more than one book, just to see different options. The Moores book is very clear, pretty, and detailed, but is the basis of Bear Mountain Boats. The Gilpatrick book aims for a simpler approach, as he has taught many hundreds of kids to build these. He describes how to cane the seats and make paddles, which the other books do not, and he worries less about some of the visual details. His book includes many plans, while you are expected to pay extra to build the Moores ones. I like the Minnesota Canoe Association plans. Their book is simpler and less detailed than the others, but it works well.

It is unfortunate that the Bear Mountain forum is so antisocial, the problem may be a computer bug of some sort. It is a good place to get answers to all sorts of canoe building questions from lots of people, many of whom have no association other than the forum. But you can get advice from many of the same people here.

Alan i've got the book by moores. good book but i'll get the one by gilpatric to get another view ov the project. being a simple person i appreciate simple solutions. i nwish the bear mountain site wasn't so snooty. i'll need answers to a lot of questions.
    for instance is there a good way to load and fasten a canoe on a fifth wheel camper for a 70 yr old coot?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Davidson View Post
    That's funny Dan because the same thing happened to me several months ago. Tried to signup on the forum and said I had been banned. Hey, they can keep their forum for all I care.
    I tried to sign up using my Google mail account and was banned. I then tried it from another account and was accepted. I suspect you also have to be careful when typing in the confirmation code. If the letter looks to be capitalized put it in as an upper case letter. I didn't pay attention to this when I initially tried using the Google mail account. If this is actually the issue they're being very picky about registration protocols.

Regards,

Ron

Strip canoe plans

Ted Moores has a lot to offer...here's his web site:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/

best,

Karen