Thread: Quick pockethole screw question

Blog Entries

Quick pockethole screw question

I never noticed this until tonight when I went to order a thousand Kreg screws. I have been getting low on 1 1/4" Kreg course washerhead pocket hole screws. I failed to pick them up last week at the Woodworking Show, so I pulled out the Rockler catalog tonight to order some using a Visa $100 debit card I won today at work. Anyway, the question - when looking at the screw selection in the catalog, I noticed that they have sizes 7 and 8. I assumed that 7 and 8 were size designations. Upon further examination, they don't have #7 in the 1 1/4" course variety. In fact, no #7 is available in the course format. So, is the #7 a fine thread and the #8 a course thread? Just when you think you know everything
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

No, it has something to do with the size. Not exactly sure what it is. But the reason I know is Woodcraft has #7 coarse thread kreg screws also. I'm sure it has something to do with shank or head thickness.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

From what I just read, #8 is a slight thicker shank and head from #7. Was what I thought but didn't want to say for sure until I researched it.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Blog Entries
    In general, coarse for softwoods and fine for hardwoods is the recommendation. McFeely's has quite a selection including Hi-Lo in #7 x 1-1/4"
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    In general, coarse for softwoods and fine for hardwoods is the recommendation. McFeely's has quite a selection including Hi-Lo in #7 x 1-1/4"
    Wanted to say that I have had a lot of bad luck with the Hi-Lo's. Threw them away after the first faceframe. #7 is a smaller body diameter than a #8. The smaller body size works great in hardwoods but can be easily stripped in softwoods, so....#7 for hardwoods and #8 for softwoods or plywwod.

Ed
    Come on in friend, here's what you'll find
    A well used shop where you can rest your mind
    The beer's cold and the wood is dry
    We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high

Quite a while back after just getting my pocket hole jig I discovered that I could get 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 screws for more than less than what Kreg wants for their screws - course thread. They are called partical board screws and are the same washer heads that Kreg sells. They work fantastic for soft wood and plywood and the price is right.

--Bobby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Peters View Post
    Wanted to say that I have had a lot of bad luck with the Hi-Lo's. Threw them away after the first faceframe.
    Uh, they're primarily for particle board. I wouldn't suggest them for hardwoods. If I was doing face frames I'd toss 'em too. ;-) The OP was bemoaning a lack of coarse thread options so I tossed that out there for him.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler