Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reconditioned Tools?

I have a reconditioned Porter Cable 7529 router and it has performed admirably. The only differences I could see between it and a "new" one was that it came without a case and the price.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I too have purchased some recon tools and have been just as happy with new tools. I have also purchased alot of used tool off craigslist and been very happy.

P.S. The plus side to recon tools is if you missed out on the home depot clearance of dewalt planers you can get a recon dw735 for $499 from Max Tools. Thats $150 cheaper than buying new and it comes with 1 year warranty.

I've bought 3 recon Bosch items from CPO--happy with all other than a spindle lock on the Bosch Colt that stripped after a year or so. But I understand that's a problem with the Colt in general and just bought a cheap wrench and ground it to fit the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Ryobi is junk.
    Best tool line in that price range?
    Some of their tools are equal and some times even better
    than some of the tools with three and four times the price tag.

We use some Ryobi tools for years with excellent and even better results than someof our very expensive tools.

Blanket statements without any comparison and explanation
    is simply very bad for the makers of one of the best "affordable"
    ( if not the best in their price range) product line.

A Ryobi fan.
    Anyone can make the most expensive tools.
    To make a tool like Ryobi takes knowledge and good engineering.

Just Imagine if their tools was junk.
    Out of business in one month.
    From what I know, Ryobi is going to be the last company going out of business because they make the best tools for the best prices.

I got a reconditioned Bosch 18v impact driver for Christmas -- good savings, great tool, no problems.

I bought a 12" DeWalt sliding compound miter saw that was reconditioned. Before I bought it, I called the company selling it and asked what had been wrong with it that it needed to be repaired and then sold as "reconditioned" I was told the only issue with the saw was when they painted the name "DeWalt" on the saw, it smudged and couldn't be sold for retail. I bought it for $450. at the time, it sold retail for $750. $300 off for a smudged name was a steal in opinion. I've used the saw for 2+ years and have had no problems at all with it.

Huge "Reconditioned" fan!

I have 2 Makita drills, Makita Recip Saw & Makita Impact Driver, all Lithium Ion 18V w/5 batteries, ALL Reconditioned from cpomakita.

I absolutely love all my Makita's!!! I don't see much of a "risk" involved, they come with the same warranty as brand new, and the only indication that my tools were reconditioned was the sticker that said so, and a very minor scuff on the body of one of the drills. I've had my first recon drill for over 4 years and the rest for over a year... all still going strong!!

A year and a half ago I bought a reconditioned Bosch random orbit sander from CPO. It was fine for a few months, I didn't use it that often. Then, a year after I'd bought it, the sander stopped working. Totally dead. I took it to a local Bosch dealer for repair; they sent it in and it was repaired and came back with the notation that it was still under warranty, no charge for the repair. I did have to pay the dealer $9 for shipping/handling, but it still works out as a good deal.

Sorry for my ignorance - but what is CPO ?

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance - but what is CPO ?

www.cpooutlets.com

It's a great place to buy reconditioned tools from several manufacturers. They also sell new tools, but often you can find better deals elsewhere on the new stuff... great for bargains on refurbed tools!

I have a reconditioned sawzall, which has been just great.......Regards, Rod.

I've bought a few reconditioned tools, and havent had a problem with any of them.

I also love my 18v Ryobi drill.

I bought a recon table saw slider from CPO. It was 1/2 of the street price and I couldn't tell it from new.

i love reconditioned tools. i still have a reconditioned mcculloch weed wacker that is now 13 yrs old with a ton of use. also a campbell hausfeld oilless air compressor at 10 yrs with alot of use {although its very noisy!}. wouldn't hesitate to buy anything reconditioned.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Ryobi is junk.
    Anything in particular? I have a few Ryobi things that work just fine for what they are. I have a sawzall that has cut through all kinds of stuff and caused much destruction and still works fine, even being a bit beat up.