Thread: spindle height for hollow turning

spindle height for hollow turning

hello all,

what would be a good height for the spindle when turning hollow forms.
    reading the instructions from rolly munroe he suggest the spindle should be raised between 4to6 inches.can some one letme know where they stand on this subject.

thank you

patrick

Patrick - depends on your height and whether you use hand-held hollowing tools or a captured system system of some type.

I have my lathe set so that the spindle is about 2" to 3" higher than my elbow and find that works well for me as almost all my turning is hollow forms or bowls. The slightly higher height helps keep me from bending over and placing a lot of strain on my back. The captured systems that I use also help prevent fatigue.

So, in my opinion - if you plan on doing mostly hollowing and bowls - then raise the spindle height a couple of inches past your elbow. If you plan on doing a lot of spindle work - then keep it close to the height of your elbow.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

spindle height

thanks steve,

I mostly plan on hollowforms and bowls .for now im using non captured hollowers.plan on buying a captured system anyone you prefer.

thanks

patrick

Patrick - I use the Monster systems - I have both the captured and the articulated arm systems and swear by them! You can check out Randy's site here: http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Patrick,
    I do both spindle and hollow turning on my lathe and find that I need to keep the lathe lower than I need for hollowing to turn spindles. I use an arm brace handle from John Jordan to hollow and find it very comfortable to set on a stool I have set at the perfect height for using a armbrace handle type tool for hollowing. If money was no object it would be nice to have ones's lathe on a lift to adjust the height as needed or even a lathe at each height you need. Until I when the lottery I'll sit on my stool and love it.
    Jack

Patrick I also have both the articulating arm and captured unit from Randy. Really nice units.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

height

thanks, Jack and Bernie Iam looking at buying the monster system. hereing what steve and bernie had to say.

bernie what size hollow forms / deepest can be done with the monster.

thanks again

I have my lathe spindle height at 49". I'm 5'10" tall. Don't have to bend over so far. Some I use my hollowing system, and some I do free hand. Works well for both. My hollowing system is homemade.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.