Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrub Oak Burl

Scrub Oak Burl

I haven't decided what to make from this yet. But there's a short story behind this burl. A friend at work called me on the radio the other day and said he had found a weird looking 'knob' on a tree and asked me if I wanted him to get it for me. (I drive a concrete truck so I'm always around construction sites where there are trees being removed) I told him sure so he said he'd try and cut it off with his Leatherman tool. My first thought was that it couldn't be much of a knob if he could cut it with a 2 1/2" saw on a Leatherman. He cut it off and put it in my pickup. When I saw it I couldn't believe he was able to cut this with that little saw blade. I can't wait to see the wood inside and hopefully turn something nice from it as a gift to him for his effort. It's about 12-14" thick with the trunk about 4" thick, much more than I'd ever try to cut off with a Leatherman tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arg... I have a leatherman... but I aint got no burls...Arg...

Way to go Curt. That ought to make a nice turning or two.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'll be interested to see what comes out of that. I see those around here fairly often. Probably buy me a little bow saw if they are any good.

Somewhere inside that grotesque looking thing is some true art, and you are just the guy to find it! Great find, and a testament to the utility of a Leatherman!!

Great score - and I think you really owe your buddy now.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Somewhere inside that grotesque looking thing is some true art
    Tonight I started working on this Gambel (Scrub) Oak Burl. Here's kind of a preview, WIP, of what I'm finding under the bark. Probably the most amazing burl I'll ever get my hands on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW that's some amazing burl Curt, pretty hard to improve on mother nature isn't, talk about lace in wood, I'm really looking to see the outcome of this one :-)))
    Have fun and take care

That is amazing. It will be very interesting to see this finished.

That is a stunner!

I don't think I have seen a better looking burl in a long time that came from the good old USA! I have a couple little oak burls that I have been saving for a special project, maybe I should see what is inside them! Both are from small white oak trees and are very round to start, I hope they have as much character as yours!

Great chunk of wood!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Curt, that is amazing! Sure is going to be fun hollowing - for a guy that doesn't care much for hollowing!!

Great looking burl Curt. I hope it dries without any problems.
    Jack

It looks like you have a winner there! Congrats Curt!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Wow, that's going to be an interesting turning Curt. You;ve got quite a fiesty friend.

WOW! Looking forward to seeing the results after you work your magic!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!