Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Best Jointer Plane you have ever used

Question The Best Jointer Plane you have ever used

This is an afterthought to the threads on the best Smoother, Jack, and Block planes you have ever used.

What is the best Jointer Plane that you have ever personally used?

I do not expect much on this one because, unlike other planes, I would guess that most of us have not tried more than one or two jointers ever. They are specialized and expensive tools. Maybe somewhere someone has a collection. There must be reviews out there too. But let's see what happens.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have 2 jointers.

One is a Stanley #7 (who knows what type it is) that was given to me by a kind and friendly woodworker. I have used that for big surfaces. It worked fine on my work bench, but I had a lot of touch up to do after using it badly and making long tracks on a couple of other projects.

The other is a shop-made / Krenov style. It is beautiful and did not work. I took it to a Lie Nielsen event and showed it to Ron Hock. Between himself and a friend on sharpening stones, they found 7 of my mistakes and now it does well on jointing edges. Maybe this thread will give me a reason to work on sharpening and adjusting the #7 and getting more experience with the Krenov-style jointer so that I will have an opinion.

As of today - 2 jointers / no favorites.

Added note: on pieces under 2 or 3 feet, I like using my Lee Valley Bevel Up Jack as a small jointer plane. It does the job most reliably so for the moment I'll call it my favorite jointer (or jointer substitute).
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 02-27-2010 at 2:13 PM.

Veritas BU Jointer....like you mentioned however, the only one I have used. I chose it because of the ability to change out blades with the BU Smoother, and the LA Jack which I also use as a Jointer for short pieces. I also like the fence to guarantee square edges.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

To date my Record No 7. But for shorter stuff whatever is sharp, to hand and long enough.
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 02-27-2010 at 1:57 PM.

All i have ever used is an old union #7 that was once covered in rust and crud in my grandfathers garage. Cleaned it up and I can get a better edge than my 6" grizzly jointer.

I have two Stanley #7. One is type 9 that is used for surfacing and flattening. Another one is type 11 that's gone through surface grinder treatment. It is used for musical instrument soundboard/back jointing and they are both wonderful planes.

For what it's worth, my favorite joiner is my only joiner, a 607 Bedrock with a homemade tote and a big brass solder repair on the toe.

Stanley 33.
    Four inches longer than a number 8 and lighter.
    Very easy to control and simply glides over the wood.
    Ignore Patrick Leach, these are great planes.
    MC

Record #7, but of course, it sports a Hock blade. Really want to get a Hock chip breaker for it though.
    Maurice

I only have one, it is a L-N #8. I just use it on long boards and it does a fine job for me but I haven't used any thing else.

Shop made, with a Hock iron.

[Oops, I was wrong - it has an older Buck Brothers iron.]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-27-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,

Any chance of getting a photo of that one?

Brian

I guess the best jointer I have used is my Stanley No8 Type 4 Prelateral. It has a full thickness 3/16" Lie Nielsen iron shoehorned into it, and with a 10-15 degree backbevel on the iron it will plane just about anything I've thrown at it so far.

Steve

I have 5. Two type 11 #8's, a type 11 #7, a record #7, and a 26 inch Ohio Tool woody. I use the ohio tool and one of my #8's. I hardly ever use my #7's.

LN #8. I use to own a LV BU jointer and didn't like it.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.