Thread: Triton Router Question(spindle lock)

Triton Router Question(spindle lock)

I am contemplating purchasing a Triton router for my table but I have a question.

I have be told that you can not lock the spindle unless the you crank it all the way up into the auto spindle lock position. Is this true also on the new 3+ HP model that can be adjusted through the table?

If that is true, it means I could not change bits and leave the router in the same vertical position.

Does anyone know for sure if this is true or not?

The reason for asking is, that when I use my Sommerfeld match sets, I do not want to touch the height adjustment when changing bits.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    If it works like the 2-1/4HP model this is essentially true. I suppose you could get in that area to push in the spindle lock with other than the intended mechanism but it would be pretty weird. One hand under the table to lock the spindle, one hand over the table to turn the wrench . . . If you are going down that road a two wrench rig would be best IMHO.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I haven't actually seen the new, upgraded version but I expect it works like its predecessors. Turn off power and raise it up until the spindle lock engages.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

you can reach under the table and push the lock by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Werts View Post
    you can reach under the table and push the lock by hand.
    Chuck,

In some of Norm Sommerfeld's videos, he does reach under the table with his left hand to engage something. But I don't recall him leaving his left hand under the table. Sometimes he uses two hands on the off set wrench.

???

Jim

Yes, you can engage the lock without raising the router but it's going to be awkward when mounted in a table. Assuming that the layout of the new 3.25hp router is similar to the smaller version, you would probably have the router mounted in the table so that the depth lock is facing forward, that will put the spindle lock on the back side of the router.

Here's a pic of the 2 1/2hp version and again since I haven't seen the new 3.25hp router I'm just guessing it's laid out the same way.

This shows the back side of the 2-1/2hp router, the locking lever is on the other side.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

You could reach under the table and engage the spindle lock, or take the router out with the table plate. But I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Every time you change a router bit you will not get the same height when you swap out bits. It is easy to adjust the height on the Triton router from above the table. I do it all the time. I have an iGaging digital height gauge and can replicate exact heights for bits. Set-up blocks are the best way, if you are doing production runs, say of rails and stiles, and only have one router table.

I have an older 3 HP Triton, the height of the bit cannot be changed from above the table. Great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    Every time you change a router bit you will not get the same height when you swap out bits.

Michael - This is true with most sets. With Sommerfeld's, they are matched height. When you drop the 1/2" grommet in the collect you just change bits at the same height and they match up. I have the tongue and groove set that I used with my Hitachi in the table and the match is perfect. See pic. That's the reason I asked about the spindle lock. I don't want to have to move the height adjustment.

I like a lot of other feature on the Triton, including the above table changing ability.

Austin - The new 3+ HP Triton has the above the table bit changing feature now.

No sanding yet. Just cut to length.

Bill - Is the locking lever like a standard one? Do you have a pic? I'd go look tomorrow but Woodcraft is about 35 miles away.

Thanks guys.

Jim,
    Look through my reviews of the Triton's for more pics. I have not seen the new version yet and as far as I know the next manufacturing run isn't due here till April so call Woodcraft before you take the trip and make sure they have the new version.

I would guess the new layout will be similar to the MOF-001.
    Bill Esposito

I have the older model. I have to reach under the table to set the height and to lock the spindle. It's no big deal. Once you do it a few times your hand goes right to it.

Bill - Thanks for the info, pics and the review(s).

Jim