Thread: Show me your joist/rafter storage ideas

Show me your joist/rafter storage ideas

Now that I've eliminated a dropped ceiling (installed by previous homeowner, dropped on my head), I have access to the floor joists above and thinking I could store tools/accessories/etc. up there.

Anyone come up w/ neat ideas for storing things up above?

Attic storage.

You didn't say what the height above the rafters is, but if it has stand-up head room, you have great potential. Almost all possibilities suggest at least crawling room to be covered with some flooring, with storage alonside the movement area. A drop down ladder is likely your best bet-I've had good luck with them in the past. Where I did have stand-up headroom, I built simple shelves alonside in the rafter trusses. In my present shop, I built a dust collector "room" out of framing and plastic to save space and noise in the garage shop below. Return filtered air kept the climate control the same during use. Attic accessed by upper level room and a full size door) Perhaps with more understanding of your limitations, more specific suggestions will transpire.

Phil,
    I have a basement shop with an unfinished ceiling. The bottom of the ceiling joists to the floor is 7 feet.

I store a bunch of stuff in between the ceiling joists. Most importantly, my runs of dust collection duct work is tucked between the joists as well as my 48" shop lights.

For other storage, I drilled furring strips and inserted 3/8" dia x 6" long dowels about 6" apart. Then I attached the furring strip to the side of the joist. I store all kinds of tape (masking, electrical, duct, adhesive backed, etc.) as well as edge banding tape.

I also store my sanding discs and belts up there too as well as spare flourescent bulbs.

Having a small shop requires me to be creative on space ideas. Having a low ceiling is not really a good thing, but at least I can easily reach anything I store up there without needing a step stool.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Here's a CAD snapshot of my duct work tucked between the ceiling joists...

Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.