Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My good/bad day at the local Rockler store...

My good/bad day at the local Rockler store...

Well, the weather was nice today here in the Boston area so I took a little jaunt down to the Rockler store in Cambridge, MA. It's a very well-stocked store and I don't get there very often, so it's not uncommon for me to browse each and every aisle and lose all track of time.

So, I bought a couple of small things and was pleased to discover that I got 15% off my total purchase. I had a big smile on my face leaving the store!

Until......

$25 parking ticket under my windshield wiper!!!!!! The meter had apparently just expired. Wow, those meter maids don't mess around!!

Ugh!! So much for my 15% discount.

Next time I'll just order online and pay for the shipping. Heck, it'll probably be cheaper!

Jason

Blog Entries
    Ouch! My Rockler is only 35 miles away but with California freeways, I use their free shipping whenever it comes along. If I really need something, I can generally get it shipped for less than it costs to go get it; especially since I am apt to buy something else while I'm there.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It all balances out in the end. But at least you got to enjoy yourself at the store.

Personally I prefer to carry poison blow darts for the meter maids, who are also quite rabid here in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Well, the weather was nice today here in the Boston area so I took a little jaunt down to the Rockler store in Cambridge, MA. It's a very well-stocked store and I don't get there very often, so it's not uncommon for me to browse each and every aisle and lose all track of time.

So, I bought a couple of small things and was pleased to discover that I got 15% off my total purchase. I had a big smile on my face leaving the store!

Until......

$25 parking ticket under my windshield wiper!!!!!! The meter had apparently just expired. Wow, those meter maids don't mess around!!

Ugh!! So much for my 15% discount.

Next time I'll just order online and pay for the shipping. Heck, it'll probably be cheaper!

Jason
    Hey Jason,

I was at the Cambridge Rockler around 12:15pm today! I had a very specific list in mind (like one of those T-Slot router bits at $9.99) because I was in my lunch break and couldn't spare much time.

I ended up spending around $90 but didn't get any 15% discount, though

Sorry to hear about your parking ticket!

How'd you score a t-slot bit for $9.99?

Online shows $34.99!

$25 for a parking ticket..............HA! I should have been so lucky.

Last winter my daughter borrowed the van to go out for lunch, since it was snowing heavily.

She parked in a parking spot, met her friends for lunch, came back to find a $450 parking ticket on the van. (In my name of course since parking tickets are with the vehicle owner.)

Michelle had parked in a wheel chair spot, that was marked on the pavement only. (Not such a brilliant idea in Canada).

Long story made short, the police officer was on maternity leave when my court date came up so the case was dismissed.

I was thinking of framing the ticket, $450 for a parking ticket......Wow.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Glad to hear that at least you saved some money at the store Jason.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-02-2010 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Added post script

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    How'd you score a t-slot bit for $9.99?

Online shows $34.99!
    I got an email with the monthly flyer where several 1/2 shank router bits are on sale for 9.99 at our local store.

The one you are looking at $34.99 is Item number 22602 and it's a better T-Slot bit, though. The one I bought is item number 26099 and it shows online for 29.99. When I checked that one online yesterday, it was listed at 9.99 but today it was back to its full price. So I called the store and confirmed the $9.99 sale price. It seems that they are no longer keeping the sale online, but the stores are.

Sorry -- I meant to say $15 off, not 15%. It was a coupon.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Hey Jason,

I was at the Cambridge Rockler around 12:15pm today! I had a very specific list in mind (like one of those T-Slot router bits at $9.99) because I was in my lunch break and couldn't spare much time.

Ah, Jason, you corrected the error. Yes, it's $15 off on any purchase over $50, including things on sale. You can ask them to scan a store coupon. I know I did that 3 times yesterday at the seemingly-famous Cambridge Rockler store. One purchase was regular stuff, mostly on sale. But the other two were done so I can try the highly recommended (by posters at SMC) West System Epoxy. The seems-outrageous-to-me price of $99 (1 qt. resin + 1 pt hardner + the pumps) was more palatable at $69.

PS - I did get a parking ticket there once in the past. Now I make sure I pump in a quarter.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Last winter my daughter borrowed the van to go out for lunch, since it was snowing heavily.

She parked in a parking spot, met her friends for lunch, came back to find a $450 parking ticket on the van. (In my name of course since parking tickets are with the vehicle owner.)

Michelle had parked in a wheel chair spot, that was marked on the pavement only. (Not such a brilliant idea in Canada).

Long story made short, the police officer was on maternity leave when my court date came up so the case was dismissed.

Regards, Rod.

That sucks. In Minnesota its only a handicapped spot if there is a sign.

Must be nice to have a Rockler right around the corner. My Rockler is only about a 3 and a half hour drive along with every other decent woodworking store or lumber yard.

Blog Entries
    I got an email with the monthly flyer where several 1/2 shank router bits are on sale for 9.99 at our local store.

The one you are looking at $34.99 is Item number 22602 and it's a better T-Slot bit, though. The one I bought is item number 26099 and it shows online for 29.99. When I checked that one online yesterday, it was listed at 9.99 but today it was back to its full price. So I called the store and confirmed the $9.99 sale price. It seems that they are no longer keeping the sale online, but the stores are.
    That explains how the 45 degree 1/2" shank router bit I saw on SMC last night was not on sale today. If I call the store, do I have to go there to get that price? Nothing in Houston is close by.

I must have missed you by about an hour!

Jason

Hey Jason,

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in DC back in December during the blizzard. I parked in a spot only marked on the pavement and with about a foot of snow on it. The ticket was $300 but I took pictures and happened to be able to schedule my next business trip there around the court date, it was dismissed but a pain for something I certainly did not mean to do and would never do knowingly.

Well, at least the OP's discount helped the sting of the ticket!

I can walk to my local Rockler... its not as great as it seems. They take all my money away and I have to eat ramen noodles because I can't afford anything better.