Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Grinding not doing Extension Wings

It's too bad they do a good job

Well I didn't win the contest but I did have Chris fabricate an Incra-style offset router table for me.

They did a great job on my table. The machining was absolutely perfect. It actually frustrates me that they didn't appear to get their return on investment because they make a really really good product. Or, maybe they have seen growth in other areas and can't spend time on the one-offs? Either way I wish them the best of luck.

-Brian
    Last edited by Brian Kincaid; 03-02-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: my title doesn't make sense, but it looks like I can't edit it

For me it wasn't about the price at all, it was the quality.

Welded steel is in my opinion the absolute best material for extension wings and table tops. Machining the surfaces perfectly flat after the welding is done provides the best and most durable surface you can get. The price reflects the quality of what you buy in this case, welding and machining are not inexpensive services to provide nor is the steel a low cost material these days.

I have two of the extension wings on my table saw with router lifts installed, they are amazing. The fit is perfect and the sound deadening capability of the steel is a nice bonus. Honestly I don't believe that there is any product on the market that is even remotely close to the quality of the Quality Grinding wings and tables.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-02-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    For me it wasn't about the price at all, it was the quality.

Welded steel is in my opinion the absolute best material for extension wings and table tops. Machining the surfaces perfectly flat after the welding is done provides the best and most durable surface you can get. The price reflects the quality of what you buy in this case, welding and machining are not inexpensive services to provide nor is the steel a low cost material these days.

I have two of the extension wings on my table saw with router lifts installed, they are amazing. The fit is perfect and the sound deadening capability of the steel is a nice bonus. Honestly I don't believe that there is any product on the market that is even remotely close to the quality of the Quality Grinding wings and tables.
    Thanks Keith for making me want one even more...and now they aren't available

I can honestly think that there is NO ONE that would base buying that router table on a one member's review on SMC. Its not like you casually consider a router table like that and then see a review and buy it. It is not like the experienced tool buyer will think "All I need is one generic review and I will buy one". Sure it was good press but better than that review was that they had a conetst that you had to post in a thread to enter (meaning you knew the product existed). Something was far greater an issue than SMC and a review. Maybe QG will post here and let us know someday. Heck, build the one Keith wanted and have him do a BIASED review for SMC and its members and any other casual members that stop by.

Best of luck to QG.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

5. I am of the same mind as Keith on this. It was more about quality than the price, and supporting a business that supported SMC.

Mike H., I intend what I am about to say with all respect. I wasn't going to base my purchase solely on any one person's review, but it certainly would have been considered as part of my decision to purchase a router table from QG&M.

I do believe that the person who was supposed to review the router table did not live up to his end of the bargain. After members posted, inquiring about review, the winner did surface and explained that he was busy, or something to that effect. So yes, the winner did give his side of the story. Do a search, you can find it. If he was too busy to do the review then the router table should have been re-crated, and the contest started again, and awarded to a person who would have given, and had a good history of writing good/excellent review, such as yourself, as I, and many others, enjoy your projects that you post.

A person is as good as their word. Unfortunately, often, many people find excuses easier than living up to their word. For me, it was a matter of principle.

Regards, Bill

Not the router table winner, but...

Creekers,
    I was not the winner of the router table promotion however I did win one of the free stuff drawings and was the very very lucky recipient of an extension wing and router lift. I posted about that win and the product in this post:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102506

To follow up on that original posting, let me say that the extension wing and lift have become a very useful tool in my workshop. I love being able to dial the cut in with the router lift, and the extension wing fit and finish is great. I have a Bies fence on the saw, but what I generally do is clamp my Lee Valley router table fence to the Bies and use that as my fence set-up for routing.

I'm very sad to see that things didn't work out for Chris and Quality Grinding with respect to the router tables and extension wings as he made a great product and his service in delivering it to me was fantastic.

Roger

Bill, I too am sad the review did not come out. Maybe it will someday but I guess what is the point now other than saving face.

So are there any other choices for router tables with all steel parts out there. Have folks fashioned some benchdog or Lee valley or other steel tables to some machine bases.

I personally have a woodpecker table (deal on a A grade refurb) with a incra fence and PRL V1 on a Kreg stand. It is all the router table I need but it is no steel setup. My friend wants a "shaper quality router table" if that exists.

I am sure I have a lot of reviews I could do so I need to start stepping up more. My girls/wife and my job are my priority though. Hope to do one on a Woodtek Matchmaker though and I have some bandsaw blades I can review.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I called Chris Brown yesterday and left a message on his voice mail asking him to call me. No answer yet.

The FreeStuff Drawings and other promotions that we have done here in the past are a very powerful advertising tool. They provide the sponsor access to approximately 100,000 woodworkers and more since we archive the threads. If you have never paid for advertising you probably can't appreciate how effective and inexpensive the drawings are, particularly if you are launching a new business of product. You could spend $100,000.00 and not receive anywhere near the exposure to the number of people that either belong to this Community or visit SawMill Creek. Donating an $800.00 item is dirt cheap advertising, particularly when the winner creates a new thread after using the prize and raves about the product.

There is a secondary benefit for companies who decide to sponsor drawings here. They become part of our Community in a sense because they are supporting The Creek and at the same time everyone loves an opportunity to win a nice prize.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-03-2010 at 9:38 AM.

Keith, I could not agree with you more about the cost and benefits of advertising.

FWIW, I'm disappointed QG isn't around. I had inquired about an extension wing, but since I was going to be replacing my TS (old one was 22" deep and new one is 27") I decided to wait. Looks like I missed my opportunity
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I have been thinking about making a 3D model and corresponding drawings of a router table similar to theirs (if you search the archives, all of the details on construction are there) and putting them on mfgquote.com. I think that this might be a viable option since you can customize the table to whatever you want...

Another route would be to find a company that can grind table saw tops; if they can do that, I expect they have the tools to make a nice router table.

Keith,
    For what it is worth when you do talk to him please tell him of the potential customers out here. I would certainly like to buy one.
    Vijay

Chris called me this morning. He has suspended Quality Grinding at this point and isn't sure at this point what he might do in the future. Currently he is working with his FIL in his machine shop and renting space in his building that was Quality Grinding.

I asked him to talk to his FIL to see if he would be interested in providing extension wings and router tables, Chris said he would discuss it with him.

I'm looking right now, in fact, for someone that will sell me a TS extension router table for my SawStop. I don't want a weekend project. I want something with all the proper holes drilled for my SS fence, legs (or include their own legs). Also I want it to have a nice fence system. I want to use a nice lift, like a Jessem. I want to take it out of the box, and bolt it together, not take it out, scratch my head, drill a dozen holes in cast iron, etc. Not that I couldn't do all this, but I'd rather spend my time working than fiddling. If anyone knows of anything like this, I'd love to know about it.