Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best value in double-locking casters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Alright, that sold me Looking at some prices, I haven't seen the Woodcraft ones on sale recently, and the ...
    They are on sale right now. I just bought 8 a couple weeks ago.

I've gone through the same exercise and bought casters from Woodcraft, Hartville and Grizzly. If you want absolute rigidity in a double-lockiing caster, Woodcraft is definitely the best of the 3. If you can tolerate some play or wobble, than either Hartville or Grizzly might satisfy you.

I did find however, when the woodworking show came through Sacramento, that Peachtree sold the exact same casters for less than Woodcraft's sale price which made them a real bargain. I know they're the same because I bought some and compared them to the ones from Woodcraft. Peachtree's "bargain" price however was only at the show. If you looked at their website the price was the same as Woodcraft. This wasn't a one-time deal, I see them being sold at a greatly reduced price at each woodworking show. Something to keep in mind for the next ww'ing show in Denver.

I can get the same ones woodcraft sells locally and the prices are a bit lower.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I've used 3 kinds of double-locking swivel casters.... Woodcraft, Lee Valley, and Hartville Tool.

Woodcraft casters, while expensive, are the best I've used (I even have them under my 500-pound cabinet saw). Virtually bomb proof and lock nice and solid. The urethane tires never get flat spots on them after sitting parked for a long time.

The casters from Lee Valley lock well and glide smoothly, but got flat spots on the rubber tires with my heavier carts & machines after sitting parked for extended periods.

The Hartville ones with urethane tires cost less and work fairly well, but aren't as ruggedly built and the locking mechanisms are a bit flimsy. In fact one of them doesn't even lock anymore -- had to throw it in the trash.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I'm looking to buy a lot of 3" double-locking casters. Who do you think makes a 3" DL caster that's the best value? I've heard good things about the Woodcraft ones, but they're $16/ea! I can't seem to find the Hartville ones that people have recommended in the past. How about the Grizzly ones?
    Last edited by Jason White; 04-11-2010 at 8:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    I can get the same ones woodcraft sells locally and the prices are a bit lower.
    Steve where are you buying them? And from who? Thanks Pat

The big difference I see between the ebay ones and the woodcraft is that the ebay unit has a delrin bearing while the later have ball bearings. I am looking to mobilize several tools and am currently looking at the sale at woodcraft, are there any other folks that have used the two locking and two non locking method? This was the question I was coming to post when I read Art's response.
    Philip PM sent.
    Thanks much so much, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Meeuwissen View Post
    Steve where are you buying them? And from who? Thanks Pat
    winks carries them.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Meeuwissen View Post
    I am looking to mobilize several tools and am currently looking at the sale at woodcraft, are there any other folks that have used the two locking and two non locking method?
    I put 4 locking casters on mine but I usually only lock 2. Two of them are usually burried under the base.

Personally, I like the ones from Lee Valley and use them both in the shop and on our kitchen island. But they are not "inexpensive" in any way, shape or form...just a good, high quality product I'm willing to pay for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. woodcraft casters PU cracking

I actually just had the red PU mantle on a caster wheel from Woodcraft crack and split. Now I need to find a new wheel and somehow change the wheel without having to remove a 300lbs tool from its base.

Matthais

what is wrong with the HD casters?... named "shepherd hardware", or something like that. I don't know what their highest weight rating is, but I imagine their larger caster go up quite high... I have used some of their 3" and just some 2" for smaller cabinets at about $4... should I be expect them to fall apart in the next week?