Thread: cherry burl(s)...and more

cherry burl(s)...and more

I finally got enough spare time to finish some "works in progress". My BIL was kind enough to harvest some small cherry burls from his cabin so I finished a couple pieces for him as incentive to bring more .

The piece with the finial has some Inlace to fill voids and a Mahogony finial. I filled the porous Mahogony with grain filler and then spray laquer. The bowl is danish oil and beal buffed with R-wax topping. The potpourri has the same finish.

Oh, I also had time to finally finish a cherry wine bottle for stoppers, too.

And, there's more! I made a hammer from my neighbors downed Apple limb. I had to maximize my shop time this weekend.

I'm extremely impressed (read envious) with how much time some of you guys get to spend at the "wheel". I really, really do need to retire!

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty pieces of burl. The stopper holder is pretty neat! Glad you had so much fun this weekend!

Beautiful hollow form, Terry. That's the kind of piece that would never leave my house, even as an incentive for more burl.

I really like the stoppers too. What is the reddish wood in the layered stopper?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Terry - really nice work on everything! Great looking Cherry burl hollow form! Beautiful wood and the color of inlace used is really going to enhance the wood in a couple of years when the Cherry darkens!

Glad to see you were able to get in some shop time! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Terry,
    Great work on everything. I really like the display for the Stoppers, and the Cherry Burl is amazing. Well Done!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Great job!! I have a question What is the blue stuff? i think i have a project for my lathe i could use this on.

Terry, the mahogany and cherry burl really look nice together. As both age, they sure will take on a beautiful patina and color - nice work!! I still have a bunch of stoppers that need my attention. Perhaps this will encourage me.

The apple made a neat mallet - that would make a nice shop addition for anyone. Nice work all around.

Very nice work Terry, all the turnings. The mahogany blends in very well with the colors in the burl, nice combination. You had a very productive weekend.

Really nice turnings Terry. I like the bottle stopper stand.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the all the kind words. Now, I need to wait for the next time opportunity for the next "spurt" of production.

Brian - the reddish wood laminated in the yellowheart stopper is Paduk. I also sandwhiched the Paduk with black veneer.

Eric - The "blue stuff" is a product called Inlace. Many on-line sources to purchase....just Google it for a listing. Very easy to use.

Terry

LOVE THE PIECES. Very nice work!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I really do like the colors in the burl.I like the hammer too. I made one a few weeks ago just like that but out of Cherry.
    Donny

Great work Terry.
    Those Cherry burls sure have a lot going on in them.

Very nice Terry. The stoppers reminded me that I have some ornament hardware stashed some where... Hmmm I wonder what I did with em.

"The best things in life are not things."

That's a pretty good weekend's work! The burl figure in that hollow form is amazing... I'd have a hard time parting with it.

Great idea for stopper display as well.