Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or are wood working magazines becoming prohitively expensive?

Is it just me, or are wood working magazines becoming prohitively expensive?

Like them or not, it seems to me that pricing for most wood magazines is excessive, and on that topic, trade magazines are often times even more so.

Even when annual subscription price is taken into account, most only print 6-9 times a year. I have subscribed to several different titles over the years but as of late have pulled back to a month by month purchase, if I flip thru and nothing interests me, I pass. So I try to save by only buying if the topics are relavent, but that is expensive as well, it's like a crap shoot, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Tonight I looked at one magazine and wondered why I would pay almost $8.00 for it, the better part of ten dollars to look at some pretty pictures, adds, and read a lot of stuff I am already familiar with. Not to mention so much is available free online. I seem to remember when an annual $16.00 subscription was considered fair, now some are twice that or more. I know about inflation, still...

Which begs the question, is it just me?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

I no longer subscribe to any ww magazine. I have an incomplete set of FWW from issue #1 through #198 and a couple years of Wood that I have stored somewhere. Any more I just buy books. They are much more comprehensive than any article and no ads throughout. Better bang for the buck.

I love magazines but yes, they are getting expensive. Fine woodworking $8 on the news stand WOW!

I like what Chris Schwarz is doing at Popular Woodworking promoting hand tool woodworking. So I gladly send my money to them.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-01-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wilson View Post
    Which begs the question, is it just me?
    Nope, not just you. I'm letting my WW subscriptions expire. I may keep the Shop Notes and Woodsmith subscriptions, but that's not a given.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Subscriptions

I dropped my subscriptions a long time ago. They became too repetitive. Bought more books as they are far more comprehensive and specialized as to subject.

I stopped reading them when I could have written the articles or the articles didn't interest me. At some point, we don't need the training wheels anymore and dropping the how-to's becomes a right of passage.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Too many ads in Wood, so I'm dropping it.
    PopWW and WoodSmith I like. I get a lot of tips from them.
    FWW is available on-line, so I don't subscribe.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Too many ads in Wood, so I'm dropping it.
    PopWW and WoodSmith I like. I get a lot of tips from them.
    FWW is available on-line, so I don't subscribe.
    I know that a lot of folks seems to despise ads in a magazine. This attitude baffles me. I like the ads. I can keep informed about the latest gizmos, check out prices, and most importantly, share the cost of the magazine with someone else. Where is the downside? Are you afraid that their reviews will some how be slanted toward their sponsors? Well at least we know who those sponsors are. I just don't get it.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I know that a lot of folks seems to despise ads in a magazine. This attitude baffles me. I like the ads. I can keep informed about the latest gizmos, check out prices, and most importantly, share the cost of the magazine with someone else. Where is the downside? Are you afraid that their reviews will some how be slanted toward their sponsors? Well at least we know who those sponsors are. I just don't get it.
    I get the info I need right here at SMC, and yes, Wood reviews are slanted toward who pays the most. Their latest table saw review was a .pdf download, for $5. That was the real turn off.

I look at Wood mag, and it is 60-70% ads. I look at PWW and WoodSmith and they are no ads. What don't you understand about that?
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-01-2010 at 9:55 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I agree with Larry, I find the ads helpful & if they're not helpful I just skip them, no one is forcing anyone to read them. I would imagine that part of the reason for the increased pricing of magazines is the reduction in advertising they've been seeing as companies either reduce advertising or shift it to the internet.
    Dennis

I find it hard to balance the lap-top on my knees in the reading room so still prefer to buy hard copy magazines!
    Scott

Blog Entries
    I don't find the pricing too bad. If you subscribe and then hold out to the last minute on renewals you can get really good offers. Now, as for the content, that's a different story. I will porobably let some of mine subscriptions run out because I have enough issues now that I could spend the rest of my life building the jigs and storage systems they feature. Most of the plans are pretty poor and the tool reviews that I see have gone way beyond the hobbiest price range.

Your interests may have changed, but Popular Woodworking Magazine for example is $19.96 for seven issues a year. That price has been the same for the 5+ years I've worked here, the 12+ years my boss has worked here, and if I'm not mistaken the 15+ years his boss has worked here. Given what's happened to prices in general over the last few years that seems like a bargain to me. The subscription price works out to $2.85 an issue, about half the price of lunch at the nearest fast food drive through.

Bob Lang

My libary has just about any one I would want to read and mine allowes to take home any but the latest issue,pay enough in taxes for it so might as well use it.

I signed up for 3-4 different magazines, but plan to let most of them expire when they are done. The cost/benefit ratio is just not there anymore.

I just received a letter from one of them (forget which one) that they are stopping publication by merging with another magazine. Judging by the responses to this thread, I suspect that we will see many more failures in the near future. There are too many sources of free information on the internet for the magazines to compete. Rising magazine prices only makes the situation worse.

Steve