Thread: A few questions

A few questions

I'm seeking answers to a few questions. First, for those of you that buy bowl blanks from online sources, where are good places to look? Money isn't real tight, but I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm still learning. Second, if gluing up pieces to turn, I assume it should be pieces that are already dry and ready to turn. Is that correct? I have a mill nearby where I can buy kiln dried rough cut boards at very reasonable prices. Only wood native to the Northeast but that's where I buy wood for my other woodworking projects. I would think gluing wet wood could be a nightmare with the wood moving during the drying process and would eliminate using DNA or any other type of process. Is that correct? Also, if turning pieces that have been glued up, do the glue lines show up in the turnings or just the change in grain like with any other type of boards that are glued together? Thanks in advance for your expertise in this matter.

Rob

A good source for bowl blanks and kiln dried lumber is ebay. Decide on the max amount you want to bid, enter it and and walk away. Don't get caught up in the bidding war. Other wise you'll end up paying too much. I price bowl blanks and kiln dried lumber locally, then I try to get the same thing on ebay for about 20% less. Be sure to consider the cost of shipping when bidding. Example: If I can buy a piece of lumber for $12.95 a BF locally; then, IF bidding for a 3 BF piece on ebay with a shipping cost of $15.00, I would bid a max of $18.00. (Cost locally: $38.85 + 2.72 tax = 41.57 -- Cost on ebay if you win: $33.00).

You can glue both. If you are laminating kiln dryed lumber you can use woodworker yellow glue. You can use CA Glue on Green lumber.

Glue lines will not show (as much) if your joints are flat. Take the extra time to insure good, flat joints, it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holcomb View Post
    I'm seeking answers to a few questions. First, for those of you that buy bowl blanks from online sources, where are good places to look? Money isn't real tight, but I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm still learning.
    I would look for local sources of wood to learn on, rather than buy exotics. Look around for fallen trees that are being cut up, or check with local tree pruning outfits, they often just toss out, or chip stuff they prune.. The NE has a lot of variety in hardwoods that are a joy to turn.

Second, if gluing up pieces to turn, I assume it should be pieces that are already dry and ready to turn. Is that correct?
    Kiln dried wood will move less, and is the preferred type for segmented turners. If you can get quarter sawn lumber, then that would be the best.

Also, if turning pieces that have been glued up, do the glue lines show up in the turnings or just the change in grain like with any other type of boards that are glued together?
    Usually the glue lines will be more visible with lighter colored woods. With dark woods (ex: walnut) the glue lines will be virtually invisible, if you have good matching surfaces. Lighter woods require a lot of care and perfect joints to minimize the line...but it will still be a lot more visible than with darker woods.

Johnson Wood Products has a bowl turners or spindle turners package that runs about $50 plus shipping. I did the bowl package about 3+ yrs ago. Most of the blanks are small but gave me some inexpensive wood to make a lot of chips and get on with the learning process. As I recall the cost figured out about $2 per blank and I thought it was worth it. Just google Johnson Wood Products if interested. They are in Iowa

Rob,

Also check Craigslist in your area under firewood, its amazing what beautiful wood some people will burn. I am now chasing a Pecan tree on Craigs list (free) an hour form my home. Good luck.

Ken