Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

1 Mar 2010

Good Morning,
    Nothing much to report today. Been busy researching cancer types and treatments for my dad. No real woodworking, just trying to keep the day job happy and trying to help my parents get things in order before the trip to M.D. Anderson Hospital.

Temps are warmer and no rain to help the ground dry out.

That's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Praying for you guys my brother. The One that is in you is the One that holds the whole world in the palm of His hand. Love ya Dennis.

I spent my time working on my website and not woodowrking even though I did install 2 lights in the batrhrooms of the nursery at church. Not woodworking but at least I got to use a screwdriver.

t
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 03-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Continued good luck with your dad, Dennis.

I did the glue-up for the top to African Mahogany Night Stand #2, cut the legs, started the marking & mortising process, and ... speaking of dads ... dug out and cleaned up his 70+ year old Marples Try Square.

Here's the glue-up ... and dad's square. I lost my dad in '96. My fingers are crossed for you....

Dennis, MD Anderson is one of the great hospitals for cancer. You'll get straight answers from them and wonderful care.

No woodworking for me either, unless you call cutting the fallen limb up to burn woodworking!! I did scrape the runs on the mobile base so it is ready to put a coat on next Sat afternoon after working 1/2 day. I'm going to hit the front edge of the front rail and the rear edge of the rear rail with those surfaces horizontal to see if that keeps the runs from happening. I plan on piecing it together and get under the saw on Sun afternoon after it dries some. Won't cure for 2 weeks, but I'm tired of waiting. Little bit of yard work Sun, and then watched the USA/Canada hockey game. Kept you on pins and needles until the overtime goal. Really good game. Got another waif into rescue right at the end of the game. People that found here brought her up from the Whitney area to us. Really nice family. They found her loss but just couldn't keep her. Have a safe week everyone. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

No woodworking this weekend.

Saturday...I rested. Tough week physically and stressful.

Sunday....watched NASCAR and shampooed carpets.

We got called last night at 2330.....again this morning at 0230.....and at around 0630 PST....we welcomed two new TWIN granddaughters into the world as our youngest son and his wife had their first children...twin girls delivered this morning.....5lb 5 oz.....4lb 10 oz....Everybody is doing fine.....

and Life is Good!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Praying for your Dad, Dennis. I lost mine last fall to prostate cancer, less than 3 months after losing LOML's Mom to what we think was pancreatic cancer, she was already too weak from emphysema for proper diagnosis or treatment.

On a fun note: glued up my John Hall Frame (August 09 Popular Woodworking) and starting milling the ebony for the plugs.

I am already planning the next one, as I'm not satisfied with the joints. Also, the the lines of the reproduction built in the article do not appear to match the original. I never saw a picture of the original Hall Frame until I had cut the stock, but the stiles appear wider and sweep more to the outside.

Congrats, Ken:-)
    Last edited by James Carmichael; 03-01-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: change

Ten pounds of joy, in two little packages.

Congratulations, Ken!

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Dennis. That can be tough.

I got to play quite a bit in the shop. I recently picked up a Wards Master 45 which is the Stanley 45 casting but stamped Wards Master on the handle to be sold through Monkey-Wards. Looks to be 100% complete including box, long & short rods, cam stop, nickers, all 4 depth stops, 23 blades, instruction (and I'm being generous with that description) sheet and original purchase receipt ($12.65).

But the bad news is the blades are pretty pitted due to improper storage. The original box is cardboard and the blade box has a cardboard slip-lid. It looks like it got wet or damp so the cutting edges that were in contact with the cardboard are severely pitted.

Built a new blade box on Saturday from poplar (box joints). Cut it apart after glue-up, then added more material inside for a lip and finally made the "core" piece to hold the blades. The lip is tack-glued in their centered and the core floats. Then because the poplar was so goofy looking I got the bug to try hammer veneering. I don't suggest anybody try white oak veneer for their first time hammer veneering with hot hide glue. But it was all I had from a grab box of veneer that was large enough pieces I wouldn't have to spend the next 12 days piecing together little bits.

And just for grins, an example of the pitting. This is the smaller tongue cutter:

And here are two of the dado/plough cutters after re-grinding (about 33 degrees) and a microbevel (35 degrees) from the water stones. It would seem my hand-holding skills at the grinder caused them to crown a bit so the microbevel grew wider in the center. Oops, but should be fine.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    After this ->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134275

I started working on an edge-grain maple cutting board. Nothing fancy; super beginner stuff for most of you I'm sure. To me it was a great excuse to put some wood through my new saw.

Friday late afternoon I plowed snow, took LOMLjr to a friends house and then ran to the welding supply place for a new ground clamp. The trip which would usually be about 20 minutes each way resulted in me being gone 2-1/2 hours due to the weather. Saturday morning I was supposed to go help a friend demo Kreg stuff at a tool store in Ann Arbor but called off due to the roads and instead went out to the shop a few hours to work on my Klamp table. Saturday afternoon we went to Costco for our monthly-ish stock up then came home and played family Wii games. Sunday made breakfast, played some games with LOMLjr, took her to ToysRUs to spend a gift card she got for Christmas that we told her she had to wait a couple months to spend. Trip BACK to take back the piece of junk toy she chose (when did Crayola start putting their name on junk?) In the evening I managed to get back out to the shop to finish up the fabrication on the Klamp table which I hope to paint tonight.

After loading and unloading this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134093 I spent some time rearranging stuff in the shop and got the table saw finally functional for the first time in 5 months(since I bought the house and moved). Still haven't cut anything with it but the table is finally squared back to the blade, outfeed table leveled up with the saw and the front fence rail put back on.

I made an ill-fitting drawer for tool storage and experienced a valuable lesson via my first [router] kickback incident. No injury, no damage...the perfect wake up call.

Hmmm... Let's see...

Saturday: Coughed up a lung

Sunday: Coughed up another lung and something else I'm still not sure of

Today: Worked and coughed up a kidney I think

Dennis, as others have said, good luck with your dad. We are all praying for you guys and thinking about ya.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

worked until 12;30 on Sat then went to my daughters school's 3 on 3 tournament. I had to be a gym monitor for several of the games. Lots of games using 3 gyms starting Friday evening through Sunday afternoon.

Sunday, burned some of the ornamental grasses in the yard. also worked at work Sunday.

dennis thinking of you and your dad... all the best.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?