Thread: Another Tormek question

Another Tormek question

Do the Tormek jigs fit the Jet wet sharpening machine? I have the Jet and they do not offer the jointer/planer jig like the Tormek. I know that it is expensive but I am tired of sending out my jointer/planer blades for sharpening.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I have owned both grinders. Some Tormek jigs work fine on the Jet. Some work OK, but not as well as they do on the Tormek. If I remember correctly, the planer jig was one of the ones that had issues.
    The issue between the 2 grinders is where the support posts set in relation to the grinding wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I have owned both grinders. Some Tormek jigs work fine on the Jet. Some work OK, but not as well as they do on the Tormek. If I remember correctly, the planer jig was one of the ones that had issues.
    The issue between the 2 grinders is where the support posts set in relation to the grinding wheel.
    Chris, do you still own the Tormek? I've owned the Jet about since it came out, and I don't like the softness of the grinding wheel. I've wondered about either swapping to a Tormek wheel if it indeed fits my Jet, Or, just selling the Jet and buy a Tormek. You're in a unique position to be able to talk about both of them. Any other thoughts with comparsions, likes, dislikes would be great to hear about.

Blog Entries
    I found a much faster way of sharpening my planer blades. Take a board and cut a notch for each blade. The notch should be cut at an angle that matches the blade angle. Thus, when all the blades are stuck in the board (sharp edge out) you will have 3-4 blades angled in 1 board and all the edges will be flat relative to the board. Take your sharpening stone (or preferably large diamond stone) and run it back and forth across the blades. Wear protective gloves in case you slip. This will take the same amount of metal off of each blade, assuming you keep even pressure (note the Tormek jig also requires even pressure). Lap the back of each blade before reinstalling.

I have a Tormek and like it but for certain operations there are faster ways of doing things.

Last edited by Eddie Darby; 03-01-2010 at 3:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    Chris, do you still own the Tormek? I've owned the Jet about since it came out, and I don't like the softness of the grinding wheel. I've wondered about either swapping to a Tormek wheel if it indeed fits my Jet, Or, just selling the Jet and buy a Tormek. You're in a unique position to be able to talk about both of them. Any other thoughts with comparsions, likes, dislikes would be great to hear about.
    Callan, I had a Tormek first & a lot of Tormek jigs. Used it for several years without any problems.
    When the Jet came out, there were several features I liked about it. I sold the Tormek & got the Jet. Jet had some issues with the early models. I just never liked the Jet as well as the Tormek.

The things I liked about the Jet were the larger water tray, VS & the drawer base.

The things I did not like about the Jet were that all of the Tormek jigs did not work well with it, the wheel was softer & the strop wheel was not as smooth as the Tormek.

Last summer I found a good used Tormek, I bought it & sold the Jet.

Very interesting information, thanks for all the site recommendations. I guess I have some decisions to make.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Blog Entries
    Just when I was finally starting to favor the Jet, I hear about three folks who are selling their Jets to go back to a Tormek. Is this something Jet has resolved? One recent review, the guy had run them both for quite awhile without any excessive wear on either stone(?). He also did not have the slow-down issue that some state the Jet has. Maybe Jet has made some changes or maybe he is just a light user(?). Anybody had a Jet for 6 months to a year and have anything to add? Are you wishing you'd got a Tormek?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just when I was finally starting to favor the Jet, I hear about three folks who are selling their Jets to go back to a Tormek. Is this something Jet has resolved? One recent review, the guy had run them both for quite awhile without any excessive wear on either stone(?). He also did not have the slow-down issue that some state the Jet has. Maybe Jet has made some changes or maybe he is just a light user(?). Anybody had a Jet for 6 months to a year and have anything to add? Are you wishing you'd got a Tormek?
    Well, I'm on the fence about the Tormek, although I'm sure Mr Jeff F. could add more info
    I have the Jet, it's been about 2 years now, going on 3. The stone wears for me, alot. It's very soft, I'm constantly trueing it up. The wheel speed slows noticeably when loaded, and speeds up alot once you're off the wheel. The honing wheel has a bad hop to it where the leather is glued or bonded. I tried working with the seam when I got the machine, then learned to live with it. The jigs that I've got work fine, but I've never compared them to the Tormek since I have no time with it. Like many other people, I bought the Tormek book for the Jet since you only get a DVD with it, and the Tormek book is way easier to keep in a shop near the machine when you need references to a jig or set-up[That probably says alot right there about the Jet and how they handled instructions ]
    I too have heard that people like the larger water tray of the Jet, my only complaint is that it's a real tight fit against the machine, and it's hard to gently remove it once it's full of water. Almost easier on my machine to just leave it in place and tilt the whole thing over a sink to empty it.
    So there you are, it's not enough gripes as a whole to sell it off right away, but I will give the Tormek another close look during the next few months, probably rewatch all the available videos on it as well. I don't regret getting the Jet, I think someone else might be doing real well with theirs. Could be that a harder water wheel would cure most of the machine's ills. I put it this way, kind like buying a cheaper chisel and working harder to keep it working well, as opposed to buying a great chisel and having to do nothing except sharpen it and enjoy it.

Callan,

This is a really ticklish thread for me to comment on. I'm very reluctant to get involved in a direct comparison discussion.

But, I will add this. At the first of the year Tormek upgraded the water tray on the T-7. Here's my blog page on it: http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/news.php?id=10 It does a really great job of corralling the water. It's just as easy to remove as the old tray (if not easier), and it retrofits to all 10" Tormek machines sold in the USA, ever.

I can also confirm that the Planer Blade Attachment does not work well with any other water cooled system. The spacing of the tool support verticals and the difference between the grindstone edge and the inside vertical are different.

There's some other things I would like to say, but I'll let the "good Jeff" win tonight and keep my fingers quiet.
    Jeff Farris

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a Jet. It's probably over a year old. I like it. The leather Strop is bumpy but has smoothed somewhat since it was new. Never used a Tormek.
    Gary

Based on what Chris R. has said I ordered the T7. Nothing like direct user experience, so thanks to Chris for posting.

FWIW Woodcraft has a $50 gift card reward with the T7 and free shipping when I looked.

Kudos to Tormek for including the items needed to actually start using the machine.

First thing , I don't know as much about the JET as the Tormek. The one consideration most people forget is service. I haven't been able to get the same level of service from Jet that I have from Tormek. Any questions and /or problems I had with my Tormek were resolved within a few hours, and once solved I have had zero trouble in many years. I think it was well worth the extra $$ (if you can afford it) like the wise man says " The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten). BTW I have no affiliation with Tormek or their subsidiaries, just a satified customer. JIM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    Based on what Chris R. has said I ordered the T7. Nothing like direct user experience, so thanks to Chris for posting.

FWIW Woodcraft has a $50 gift card reward with the T7 and free shipping when I looked.

Kudos to Tormek for including the items needed to actually start using the machine.

SharpToolsUSA now has an instant rebate of $50 and free shipping. Coupon code 50BUCKS.
    Jeff Farris