Thread: Thin woods

Thin woods

I have been trying to find 1/16 solid chery for a project. Pieces wood only need to be 3-5 inches wide by any length over 12". I have not had that much luck searching to date. Milling my own would be possible but not something I would like to do at this time. Would anyone know of a reasonable, reliable source?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
    Epilog Helix 60 Watt, Corel X4

Contact George M. Perzel on this forum. He sells it all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Definitely agree George even managed to supply me with them and I'm in UK!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Laser Wood

I checked out the webpage....prices look good! How much finishing does his wood need to be nice...or is it pretty good to go? I want some, but don't want to have to sand.......
    ULS VersaLaser 3.5 30W Rotary & HPDFO

George is a great guy to deal with, I had bought from him a few times. The pieces are 3/32" I believe, a 1/32" more than you need. Sometimes you get some pieces that are cupped, but at that thickness its almost unavoidable. Try wetting the concave side a bit.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Try http://www.certainlywood.com/ I've had a lot of luck with their cherry

Colorado Heirloom should be able to help you. They will sand to your specified thickness.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    George is a great guy to deal with, I had bought from him a few times. The pieces are 3/32" I believe, a 1/32" more than you need.
    Unless he's changed his processing method recently, it's more like 5/32"-11/64".
    (And I have a rather large stack of his wood and a caliper to prove it. )

I'm a bit puzzled about what anyone is going to do with 1/16" solid cherry:
    it's going to have to be laminated to something else anyway, so you might as well use veneer.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    I checked out the webpage....prices look good! How much finishing does his wood need to be nice...or is it pretty good to go? I want some, but don't want to have to sand.......
    Depends on what you're doing with it. It's sanded to 120 IIRC, smooth enough to face glue (I use it to laminate up cribbage boards), but I wouldn't call it "finish-ready" and I don't think George does either.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gervais View Post
    I have been trying to find 1/16 solid chery for a project. Pieces wood only need to be 3-5 inches wide by any length over 12". I have not had that much luck searching to date. Milling my own would be possible but not something I would like to do at this time. Would anyone know of a reasonable, reliable source?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
    Kc-hardwoods specializes in thin lumber, check out their ebay store below they have what you are looking for.
    http://stores.ebay.com/KC-Hardwoods-...rking-Products

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Jack PM (private message) him, he's an active member of the Creek.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

If George can't help, try looking for "constructional veneer" from people that sell veneers for marquetry.
    It is usually 1/16" thick (though can vary), smooth surfaced but unfinished.

I have only ever bought beech, but a quick check shows that my supplier (in the UK) also does cherry.