Thread: Experience with Grizzly G0444Z 10" Tablesaw?

Experience with Grizzly G0444Z or Bridgewood 10" Contractor Tablesaws?

Hi All,

I am researching a first tablesaw purchase for a friend of mine. I have a 10" Jet Contractor saw with cast wings and Jet fence w/ a WWII. It has served me quite well over the last 5 years.

The friend may be getting a tablesaw as a gift from his wife and looking at the Jet now it is $750 for my same setup. She wanted to stay a little lower than that.

I see that Grizzly has what looks to be a pretty nice saw in their G044Z and wondered if there were any opinions or experience with this saw. It is $603.00 shipped.

Also, looking at the Bridgewood® Model TSC-10CL 10” Left Tilting Arbor Table Saw looks good at $550 too.

Thanks for any advice and shared experience.

Linc.
    Last edited by Lincoln Myers; 11-02-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Hi Linc,
    I purchased a G0444Z last Feb. It is a heck of a machine IMHO. There will always be others that say it is a piece of xxxxx. The set up was very easy. I am giong to change to a link belt someday. There was a good thread next door on it. I'll find it for you.
    Good luck on whichever saw you get. Keep us posted on your decision.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 11-02-2004 at 6:20 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Scott. I would be interested in the other thread to get more details.

Anyone have any comments on the Bridgewood Contractor tablesaw? Seems like a nice fence on it and it got a good review in Popular woodworking. Take a look at it here:

http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...20Saw&RecNum=0

Lincoln, I can only provide "observer" information. I don't know about the Grizz nor even the specific Wilke. However, I can provide the following information first hand: Wilke is one heckuva' company to deal with! I had their 2hp DC before upgrading to a cyclone. I still have an entry-level lathe (Yorkcraft) which they used to carry, as well as a pretty recently purchased BW 10LTS. The DC was nice, the lathe does the job and the TS is awesome! Their Customer Service is great and they excell at arranging for whatever type of shipping arrangements you may need.

Also have 1st hand experience with the steel pulley setup and link belt. That's what I upgraded my Delta CS when I had it and I believe it's worth the trouble and extra expense. Mine easily passed the "nickel test" when setup like that. I see that Wilke is including that on their CS, which is really cool.

So, no "solid" reference to what you're looking at, but I know what would be on my own "short list"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Myers
    Thanks for the info Scott. I would be interested in the other thread to get more details.

Anyone have any comments on the Bridgewood Contractor tablesaw? Seems like a nice fence on it and it got a good review in Popular woodworking. Take a look at it here:

http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...20Saw&RecNum=0
    That looks just like the General 50-185, which is currently on my radar screen.

Thanks

Thanks John and James.

John, that is great information to have, it always makes it easier to spend this kind of $ when you have good recommendations on customer service and post-sale service. That is very important to me.

As always, this kind of 'community advice' is what I love about SMC!

Linc.

Linc,

Any consideration to stepping up to a cabinet-style saw? For another $300, you can get a Grizzly 1023--wonderful saw at a sub-grand price. You simply can't beat it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hmmmm

You make a good point Chris... and since it's not my money being spent, sure, why not!

It does seem like an easy step to make, another $300 for a saw that'll probably last him his whole life. But that's coming from me, it will depend on how much value his wife puts into that aspect of the purchase.

... 'course I'll do my best to convince her

I just got the General 50-185 and it's great. But I think they are about $700 right now. The one thing a lot of people did not like about the Griz was that wired at 115 it pulls 24 amps. So that might make a difference. You can convert it to 230 so no big deal, but does your friend have 230 available? I looked at the Bridgewood as well. Good saw but only comes with one wing. I think you are looking at $75 for the otherwing. Other than that it is real similar to the General.

Good Luck,
    Chris

Grizzly shouldn't even advertise or sell their 1023s wired for 120 V. They should just make them all 240 V and call it good.

After a pretty lengthy thread on here, I'm convinced that if you can wire a motor to 240 V and you have the outlets, you should do it, period.

Linc, normally I would never try to talk anyone out of a cabinet saw! It's the ideal way to go and even a low-priced Grizz cab saw will usually be better than a high-priced contractor saw. However, it appears that your friend's better half would be more comfortable with the lower-priced option. That said, I'm still thinking that the Wilke is the way to go. Among other things, you may want to note that it's a LEFT TILT unit! Obviously, up to personal preference, but generally accepted as a more user-safe option. Especially for a guy just starting in the craft, that may be a good thing to consider. Also, I notice that Wilke has the caster set available for the contractor saw. Strangely enough, though I bought mine through Woodcraft at the time, it's the same setup I had on the Delta and I think is a magnificent solution to mobility! Once set down, the unit is "planted" completely on its own "all fours".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Linc,

Another thing to think about is dust/chip collection. Most beginners tend not to think too much about it. It costs money, isn't terribly exciting/sexy, kinda noisy, BUT a cabinet saw is FAR superior for DC than a contractor saw. Even if you only use a screaming/cheap shopvac hooked up to the 4" dust port in the side of the cabinet saw, it will be much better than the contractor's saw.

Chris, my 1023 never mentioned anything in the manual about 110. I think the Go444 does though. I can chime in on the 1023's virtues...I love mine!

Linc,
    The G0444Z comes wired at 220v No muss no fuss to have to convert it. I sent you a PM for the forums on it from next door.
    Scott

Woodchips....Natures Vitamins

Scott, have you looked at the Rigid TS3650. It has gotten some great reviews and can be obtained for around $500 when on sale or with the 10% discount HD often offers for taking out a credit card. It comes with a mobile stand, cast iron tables and a 36" rip to the right of the blade. Rigid also has a forum for their tools. The ones in the store are usualy poorly put together so don't let that upset you. Lowes and Sears also do a poor job of assembling their floor models.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.