Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stanley No. 5 Type 11

I don't know what it is about old stanley plane(and probably frome other vintage brands), but they just seem to be better than new onw like the LN, LV, Clifton etc...
    Or maybe I'm to far gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    I don't know what it is about old stanley plane(and probably frome other vintage brands), but they just seem to be better than new onw like the LN, LV, Clifton etc...
    Or maybe I'm to far gone!!
    David,

You are without doubt a few shavings past the point of no return! I'm always impressed by the consistent quality, craftsmanship, and performance of new LN and LV planes, and thankful that these companies have raised the bar on what we should expect as consumers. However, as a hobbyist woodworker, my little infatuation with vintage tools adds a rewarding sideline to working wood, and that makes me happy.

Later!

-Jerry

Just to be the devil's advocate here, but if you are going to use it as a dedicated fore plane, who cares if it has a frog adjustment screw or not?? You're going to set the mouth with a nice wide opening that will let a good thick shaving pass, and probably never adjust it again.

My jointer is a really ugly duckling WWII era Stanley #7 -- doesn't have a frog adjustment screw -- works just fine.
    DESIGN is EVERYTHING! Without good design, the greatest craftsmanship is wasted. Not all great museum pieces are of the best craftsmanship. It was design that made them a treasure. -- Wallace Kunkel, aka Mr. Sawdust

Check online for a place called Great Expectations Antiques. They have a pretty good selection of tools along with a very detailed description of each item. They can be a bit pricey sometimes but they have an early Stanley 5, low-knob, selling right now for $55. There may be others but I stopped looking after I saw this one. I have a #7, type 11, that I bought from them years ago and was very happy with the purchase. I also like The Best Things. Again, somewhat higher prices but you know exactly what you're getting. And if you aren't satisfied they both will refund your cash.

I can relate to what Rick said...I can't bring myself to use those nicer planes from LV/LN as first-on-the-wood kind of planes. I have an old Stanley #5-1/2C and a Miller Fall #14 for those tasks.

Other than built quality/look, I find the old Stanleys (especially type 10/11 - my favorite) fitted with modern blades (and/or chip breaker) work just as well as the newer LN/LV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Hoang View Post
    I can relate to what Rick said...I can't bring myself to use those nicer planes from LV/LN as first-on-the-wood kind of planes.
    That's what I'm talking about Tri - thanks for jumping in. There are now two people in the club. Everyone has great points here. When I get this thing setup it will most likely never be touched again (jack that mouth wide open and set the blade strong and leave it alone). Heck, the sole probably doesn't even need to be flat. I guess that is one of the reasons I don't want to use a LN plane for this.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Rick,

As others mentioned, you might keep an eye open for something other than a Stanley. I picked up a 1915 Union Tool #6 recently on eBay. It is massive, has a fully-machined frog like an 11 Stanley (full width on the bottom edge - no rib opening) and a 1/8th thick blade. Very nice for $46.

On the other hand, you mention you are 'not looking for a project' - and every eBay plane is likely to be a project of some sort. IMHO, eBay planes are a definite 'crap shoot'. In fact, I figure - when trying to compare costs to buying new or otherwise - only 2 out of 3 of my eBay purchases will be 'good'. I allow 1 of 3 as junk when comparing costs. Still, the Union, even at $70 (allowing +50% for other eBay junk planes I will get stuck with) was about the same as a new Groz or Anant.

As for a #5 (vs. #6) are you near a Woodcraft? I know this may offend some, but you could look at their Chinese WoodRiver Bedrock knockoffs. The #5 is currently on sale for $104, and the #6 for $112. I'd look at one 'in hand' before buying - as unsquare frogs and other defects have been reported.

Finally, there is a very good argument in my mind - for those who really don't want a project but a user - myself included - to 'bite the bullet' and simply get something like Lee Valley's Veritas Bevel-Up Jointer at $268. I have both their 4 1/2 (LV says 164 1/2H) BU Smoother ($215) and LA Block Plane (Converted to a #3 Smoother) ($139 + $34) - and they are by far the best and most pleasurable planes to use that I own.

You can always turn yourself a low knob replacement. :>)
    Last edited by Chris Hudson42; 03-03-2010 at 6:01 PM. Reason: spelling

I just landed a No. 5 Type 11 from Jim Bode Tools. He sent me some pictures. Thoughts? Anyone who has one of these older planes - Is the blade sufficient for roughing work? Does it hold an edge well enough for this type of operation? Should I upgrade to a Hock blade/chip breaker (or similar)?

Thanks for everyones input on this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Try it first but for rough work, I'd want something more durable than a typical old Stanley blade. I'd go for D2 has I not had an A2 blade already.

IMO, the blade on this baby is sufficient for sure! a hock blade would be better but not nessecery!

I think the stock vintage stanley blade is completely adequate for rough work. You probably won't even mind putting a camber on it.

Blog Entries
    I like my Hock blades, but to tell you the truth I like my Stanley blades almost as much. For rough work it doesn't even matter if there are a few pits in the blade.

The pictures look like there is a bit of blade left.

Looks like a good plane. I was hoping to find one soon so I could offer you one for sale.

I am going back to another thread to show off what was finished today in the shop.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)