Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanley No. 5 Type 11

Stanley No. 5 Type 11

Anyone know where I can find a very clean Stanley No. 5 Type 11? I've posted a classified as well looking for someone wanting to restore one or sell one. I've searched several 'antique' web sites and the selection is pretty slim. I'm not one who restores planes so I'm not looking for a project. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

May I ask, why type 11?

I have 2 #5s a Type 9 and a Type 11. I was very lucky with these, they were both Ebay finds and both are amazing, well, to be honest I have not touched the type 11. But I like it so much because I can tell it belonged to someone who cared for it well and used it well.

My type 9 can have it's mouth closed and will work as smoother. It was the first place I truly restored so it holds a special place.

I am not interested in selling at all, so please don't ask. I am just curious why Type 11, and wanted to share my story as a way of saying that you can get lucky on Ebay. I paid $36 for mine a few years back. In my spreadsheet I have it as G++ as my own subjective assesment of its condition.

peace

/p

Because I like that one :-)

Actually, I used the 11 in a class last weekend and liked it. I'm sure the 9 would suffice. I did read that the 11 has the frog adjustment screw that the 9 doesn't have. I'm looking to set it up as a dedicated fore plane.

Just my two cents, as a fore plane I realy like my #6, in fact If I had only one plane it would be a #6... The #6 get the job done quick! Sorry, I don' have a T11 #5 for sale!

Hi Rick,
    For me, for function, type 10-14 seem to be equivalent with the frog adjustment screw, however Type 10 and 11 are my favorites and boil down to purely aesthetics w/low knowb. With that said type 11's seem to be very popular and #5's for some reason are hard to find. I've missed out on a couple on ebay in last couple months that went for high $30's to mid $40's + shipping. Not sure on what kind of shape they were in. I've also seen a couple of them going in the low $100's recently as well that looked pristine.

Randy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Erickson View Post

Actually, I used the 11 in a class last weekend and liked it. I'm sure the 9 would suffice. I did read that the 11 has the frog adjustment screw that the 9 doesn't have. I'm looking to set it up as a dedicated fore plane.

I do like the low knob and thus don't want to go higher than 11.

Rick, try this guy, from E-Bay, "sopissod" is his user name and the store is "Flatwood Tools & More". Never dealed with him but heard good things! Look at what he has and write him about what you want!
    Good luck

( sorry it is "sopisodd")
    Last edited by David Gendron; 03-02-2010 at 1:35 PM.

Thanks David - it looks like he has some really good stuff. He has a No. 10 that is fantastic (although very pricey).

Rick,
    If you are looking for a good user Type 11 plane, I'd contact Patrick Leach. He's a tool dealer but is straight up with the tools he sells. The planes I've purchased from him were complete and proper for their type, not a mixing of other plane parts.

His prices are higher than what you might pay on eBay, but he is one of the most knowledgeable people I've come across when it comes to Stanley planes and old tools. You can do a Google search for Patrick to locate his web site.

Here's a link to the newsletter I received yesterday that he sends out on the first of each month listing some of the tools he has available. If you don't see what you're looking for, contact him. Sometimes he has too many tools to list.
    http://www.supertool.com/forsale/march10.htm

Good Luck...Doug

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Erickson View Post

Rick,

If you are looking for a dedicated fore plane, might I suggest that you also consider a No 6 or Millers Falls 18 as the fore planes seem to get much less use than the No. 5 Jack planes. There seem to be a lot of No 6 aval in great condition and because the demand is lower the deals are better if you go the e-Bay route. I have a few Millers Falls 18 that I have set up for different tasks (fore plane, shooting plane and jack) and the extra weight helps in all of them.

Good luck with your search.

Erik

Just out of curiousity, when you say you don't want a project, how clean does it have to be? Would you be willing to do an hour or two's worth of work cleaning it up? If so, ebay or Patrick Leach are good bets. If you want a plane that is already fully fettled, that's gonna require finding someone who has already done the bit of work required.

Thanks for the link Doug - I will certainly check that out.

Erik - are replacement blades readily available for those like they are the Stanleys?

Blog Entries
    You may also want to be specific about the low knob. Later type 11s came with a tall knob. With a low knob and hardware it is easy to change, but it can be costly.

I like the larger adjuster of the type 12 and later. Bought a bunch and put them on most of my planes.

I also have #5s in both type 9 & 12. I currently like the type 9 a little better, haven't done a lot with the type 11. The type 9 is set up to leave a surface like glass.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-02-2010 at 2:45 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Rick, try this guy, from E-Bay, "sopissod" is his user name and the store is "Flatwood Tools & More". Never dealed with him but heard good things! Look at what he has and write him about what you want!
    Good luck

( sorry it is "sopisodd")
    I got a really nice #5 body from the guy...he got it all clean up and machine the sole/frog flat. I forgot to ask about the mouth and ended up with one that you could drive a semi-truck through. Luckily, I am using it as a fore plane so I did not care so much. Also...as a fore plane, I dont' really care that he put any effort into machining the sole flat.

Pay attention to the size of the mouth if you get anything plane from him...I guess the mouth get widden in the process if machining the sole.