Thread: Anyone used Arauco 3/4 A/C plywood from Menards?

Anyone used Arauco 3/4 A/C plywood from Menards?

I was at Menards yesterday and seen they had 3/4 Arauco A/C brand plywood on sale for $23.74 per sheet. The small sample they had on the price board looked pretty good, it had 7 ply construction & a sanded pine outer layer, A on one side C on the other side. I am looking for some ply to build storage cabinets under my workbenches, however I know I read on here somewhere some negative reviews about some plywood from Menards delaminating while being cut on the table saw. Just curios if this was that product or if it was a different plywood from Menards.

Thanks Loren

I've used one sheet of it for a utility project and I'd use it again. There's a ~2' long scrap piece leaning against the wall out in my shop and has been there for months and seems stable in even that position.

I used some to build a couple of utility base cabinets in the basement of my shop. I painted them and they have held up good. I would use it again. It seems like it is perfect for a shop cabinet material.

At that price I would be all over it. Here at Lowes (no Menards) its over $30 for a 4x8 sheet. At $24 I would definitely try it.

Rob

Give it a try. Got mine at HD, about the same price. Used mine for a shop assembly and glue up table. Found no voids or delams. Used latex varnish for finish. Normally latex will lift blisters or delams on the "(QUALITY)" HD plywood. Very pleased with the outcome. You won't regret it.

I got mine from both Lowes and HD (both when they were on sale for under $22/sheet). I've built a couple of shop cabinets and an outfeed table with them and am very pleased. Last night I made a 23/32 dado on a piece of scrap to see how well it would hold up if I use it for my router table project and it came up perfect .

I'm currently using it to make shelves for the garage that are getting a 1.5" tall by 3/4" wide oak edgeband glued/nailed on the front side. Since they're shelves and I was by myself and no employees in site I took the top 2 sheets which one of had a slight bow but for what I'm doing it won't matter. So far I've been pretty pleased with it, very easy to work with and no voids that I've found yet. But at my local Menards(Council Bluffs IA) it was on sale for 27 and change with a regular price of 34 I think. For 23 bucks a sheet I would've bought a couple more sheets.

I picked up 15 sheets yesterday. I really only needed about 10, but I figured I could always use it down the road for something else. One sad thing the building guy at Menards told me was the factory where this Arauco ply is made is in Chile and 3 people died there from the earthquake damage. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

Loren

Seems like most of you have had decent luck with this stuff. I'll provide the counterpoint view. Used the 3/4" sheets to build shop cabinets with fairly decent results. Some bowing and warping but controllable in a carcass assembly. The adjustable shelves were a nightmare. Thirty four inch shelves developed warps that were nearly 1" out end to end. I used an applied edging at the front edge and the twist was between the two back corners. Finished all surfaces with 3 coats of water based polyurethane. It's possible that I got a couple of bad sheets (at HD) and the super dry climate in NM might contribute to the problem but I'm definitely gun shy.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I just got 6 sheets from my local lumberyard at $40/sheet. I was hesitent since there was no APA grade stamp but the wrapper on the lift didn't mention China. Now to find that supporting my local business only cost twice as much for questionable goods just thrills me.