Thread: Attaching panel to side of existing cabinet

Attaching panel to side of existing cabinet

I am updating the vanity cabinets in our bathrooms with shop-built walnut doors. I stripped the oak face frames with Citristrip (which worked great) and stained them walnut. So far, so good.

I thought I would strip the side panel on the cabinet and stain it also but when I applied the stripper, after an hour or so it had made a mess with the bubbling and crinkling of the surface. I discovered that the sides, which have a wood look, are are actually 3/4 particle board with a layer of plastic film that has a wood grain look to it. I couldn't see any way to remove it all and now have a somewhat rough surface.

To fix it I want to add a 1/4" plywood panel to the side over the messed up plastic film/particle board. I am pondering what would be the best way to attach the panel. I thought of using contact cement but I'm not sure how the plastic film might react -- maybe like it did to the stripper. So, my current thinking is to use some dots of construction adhesive (the type that works OK with plastic) and some pin nails for extra hold, especially near corners and edges.

Any ideas / thoughts?

That was my exact thought to fix it. If the 1/4 inch was too thick I would do a bondo job on the side, sand it down, then go to menards and get there peal and stick oak laminate.

Thanks Mark. I got lucky with the ply. The face frame has about a 1/4" overlap with the side so it fits essentially flush with the 1/4 ply (which is about 7/32).

And since I got a yes vote that gives me an excuse to buy a pin nailer. Think I'll get the cheapie pin nailer at Harbor Freight ($25).

The ply will tend to lift at the edges. Don't rely on pinner only. Contact cement and construction adhesive are solvent-based, they WILL react with the stick-on wood grain. Use dabs of clear silicone sealant to adhere the ply! The pinner holds it until the silicone dries.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Good point, Chip. Silicone it is.

You could make a frame and panel to overlay, although that might require you to redo the face frames. Then you don't have to worry about it lifting up. If it was me I would just take a belt sander to the plastic and glue the plywood down to the particle board with contact cement.

The belt sander is hard to get into the space, and I have 3 bathrooms to do so I think the silicone and pin nails will be easiest for me.

Thanks all for the tips and quick responses.