Thread: Attaching images

Attaching images

Hi All,

I have a complaint with the attaching images dialog. It may be a "standard" part of vBulletin but I am hoping it can be fixed.

After clicking the "Attachments" button, as a nicety I suspect, when you click in the first "Upload from your computer" edit-window it automatically launches the Browser for selecting the file without using the adjacent "Browse" button.

OK, so far so nice. The problem and burr under my saddle comes when I have selected the file and the Path is displayed in the edit window.

I have quite long Path names on my computer so I only get to see the first part of the file Path name I have just selected. If I want to make sure it is the correct file before I click the "Upload" button, I click in the edit-window so I can scroll to the end of the Path name, but it opens the file browser again. Grrrrrr.

Since there is a file "Browse" button this "nicety" action is not needed.

Any chance of getting that disabled or am I the only one it is driving nuts?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-03-2010 at 5:08 PM.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

That does not happen to me. I am able to click in the edit field and scroll backnforth pretty asya please.
    Are you using a laptop with a touchpad by any chance?

Sorry, my photo IDs are 7 digits. I've not had a problem. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Are you using a laptop with a touchpad by any chance?
    It is a laptop but I am using a USB radio mouse and keyboard. I can't see how the touchpad would make any difference though, it's a javascript issue.

I'll check with a desktop.

Nope same thing with the desktop.
    Dave J

Blog Entries
    My experience is that clicking in the field to the left of the browse button invokes the same action as clicking the browse button. As far as allowing a user to check the name of a file (drive, path, or whatever) it is a sloppy bit of programming. I will change my opinion if it can be overridden or was selected to operate that way on purpose. Either way, as it currently operates, it is a broken function.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    it is a sloppy bit of programming.
    Hi Glenn,

As a programmer of many years experience, I have to agree because they put the Browse button there. If there was no Browse button I could grudgingly accept it. Poor planning, poor programming.
    Dave J

I don't have a Browse button. Mine just goes to my files and I can expand the window or column to any width I want. I can have a file 35 characters long if I want and I can see them. Mine says Manage Attachments under the attach files area, then goes to manage attachments window where it ask me to choose file, then it goes to my files and documents etc. I'm on a Mac. I'll have to try it on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Hi All,

I have a complaint with the attaching images dialog. It may be a "standard" part of vBulletin but I am hoping it can be fixed.

After clicking the "Attachments" button, as a nicety I suspect, when you click in the first "Upload from your computer" edit-window it automatically launches the Browser for selecting the file without using the adjacent "Browse" button.

OK, so far so nice. The problem and burr under my saddle comes when I have selected the file and the Path is displayed in the edit window.

I have quite long Path names on my computer so I only get to see the first part of the file Path name I have just selected. If I want to make sure it is the correct file before I click the "Upload" button, I click in the edit-window so I can scroll to the end of the Path name, but it opens the file browser again. Grrrrrr.

Since there is a file "Browse" button this "nicety" action is not needed.

Any chance of getting that disabled or am I the only one it is driving nuts?
    Dave,

The situation you describe only happens with a double-click, and is not related to any vBulletin programming--the behavior is provided by the operating system/browser via a file upload control.

Try single clicking?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    The situation you describe only happens with a double-click, and is not related to any vBulletin programming--the behavior is provided by the operating system/browser via a file upload control.

Try single clicking?
    Hi Aaron,

Sorry to be contradictory, but it is only a single click. I never get a chance to double-click as the file Browser opens as soon as I click in that edit wndow.

It happens in both Firefox 3.6 and IE-7.

I can stop it happening by disabling javascript in Firefox.

I'll check with the Firefox forum and see if there is an over-ride.
    Dave J