Thread: Is this a good deal for a shaper?

Question Is this a good deal for a shaper?

I've been thinking about upgrading to a shaper and one came up for sale that was bought but never used (supposedly). It's a Jet Model JWS-22CS 1 1/2 HP Shaper and the guy wants $600 for it.

Do you all think that's a good deal for and used one (unused)?

James
    Last edited by James K Peterson; 03-04-2010 at 3:35 PM.

If you are collecting data points, I got a used, but looked new 25CS 3HP Jet shaper for $700.

Not a great price but not too bad is indeed essentially new. The real question is do you really want a 1.5 HP shaper and with a table that small. I would look for something large enough to easily add a power feeder and with at least 2hp better yet 3.

I once had a 1 1/2 hp shaper and it was very much under powered. I have no connection to Eric but you might want to work something out with him. Your not that far apart. Table size is really important and as Van mentioned you will at sometime want a power feeder.

Buy one that you won't want to replace in a year.

Ben

Shaper

Be patient,wait for a 3hp model.I bought a older delta for $300.00 and never looked back.Never used my router tables again,definitely worth the wait.The one you mentioned seem quite high.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    you might want to work something out with him.
    I was giving him a data point on a comparable sale. I bought mine for $700. Do not intent, at this moment, to part with it...

Good price? Can't advise. But I would agree with others that that weight class is a bit limited in terms of capacity. I suppose it gets you some of the functionality of a shaper and more flexibility than a router table with a 3HP motor in a slightly heavier package than your average router table. This may work for your needs, but it will never provide the performance that a larger shaper with power feed is capable of. It is really closer to being a 3HP router table than a 3HP shaper IMO.

I have an older small craftsman shaper that I threw a 1HP motor on, and it works well as a coping machine for cabinet doors with 3/4" spindle sets bushed up on the 1/2" spindle. Beats the router table for coping, but I can't imagine raising panels or making moldings of any consequence with this tool. Consider your goals in the value equation to decide whether this price works for you. As another data point, I spent $700 on a barely used (still had plastic film on the decals and knobs and cosmoline on the tables) 15 year old delta 3HP shaper. Nice little shaper. The power feed cost more than that.

I'm with Ed. Hold out for a 3hp shaper in that price range. You will be glad you did! $600 for a small 1.5hp shaper is not a great price at all.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I had a Rockwell shaper with a 1-1/2 hp motor, small table, and only a 1/2" dia spindle. It had enough power, but the table was too small to support much of anything and the 1/2" spindle really limited what cutters I could use. I never used it much as I felt it was too dangerous of a machine. I now have a Powermatic with a table a little more than twice the size of the Rockwell and I dont use anything smaller than a 1-1/4" dia spindle. It chatters much less than my 1/2" spindle did

If my sources are correct the Jet JWS-25CS 3hp shaper will be part of the big WMH sale at all dealers starting next Thursday for 999.99, tools-plus may be cheaper. You should be able to find a place to get free liftgate shipping too. If not you can get liftgate shipping for $6.50 from tools-plus. That is a heck of a deal, 40% off the normal street price (not the inflated retail) although not as good as a good used CL deal.