Thread: Lacquer problems...

Question Lacquer problems...

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem and I need your help. I'm refininshing kitchen cabinets and having problems brushing the lacquer over the finish.
    This is the procedure i'm using...
    I'm stripping the current finish with a stripper.
    Sanding
    Remove the dust
    Applying the Varthane stain.
    Then apply the watco laquer.
    When brushing the lacquer it appears to be dissolving the stain and wiping off with the brush. The last set of cabinets I allowed to 72+ hours of drying time after applying the stain.

What am I doing wrong? Is lacquer not meant to be applied over stain. I'm ready to move back to poly.
    Thanks!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Blog Entries
    There are better finishers here than I but, a barrier coat of clear de-waxed shellac will cure many ills between finishing products. Don't run out and buy a can just yet. Let some of the finishing gurus here chime in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The stain needs to dry longer. Brushing lacquer is not a good way to finish cabinets.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

The finish recommends 24 hours of drying time and I'm allowing 72.

The problem could either be the sealant isn't being fully removed with the stripper\sanding and the finish is just wiping off...or the finish isn't fully cured.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

The solvents in the lacquer are loosening the stain. The short answer is spray the lacquer. You might also try a "seal coat" before applying the lacquer. The stain is not bonding with bare wood, could be some of the problem. When refinishing, you can never remove 100% of the old finish without removing some wood, scraping/sanding, but if it's open grain wood there will still be residual left in the pores.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions only and not gospel or based on any scientific knowledge, just based on my experiences!
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 03-05-2010 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

The solvent in lacquer is too "hot" for the stain. Barrier coat of shellac will help.

Spraying would be better as already stated "brushing lacquer" on cabinets spells trouble... runs, drips, brush strokes, etc.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Do you have decent spray equipment, Matt? If not, you may wish to go the rattle can route although that can be pricey if used a lot.

What wood species are you working with? Pics are always good, too!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.