Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ready to sell

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    so he must be doing something right at $4.50 a pop...........
    Vistaprint prints business cards for free. I'm not sure you'll find too many printers that can compete with that, or too many printers that are happy competing against people that give things away for free.

There is no way he's making ANY money at $4.50 each. He might be engraving them with a galvo laser, which would mean the lasering takes about 5 seconds or less, but there's no way to handle a photo, or scan a photo and make it usable for that price.

If he's using a normal laser, like an Epilog or Universal or GCC, he's not making a penny on them, unless he's selling quantity of the same photo.

Maybe he'll post on here and prove many of us wrong, but I know that if I had a photo handed to me right now, by the time I opened my scanner software and told it to scan, it scanned it, and I opened the scanned photo up, we've passed the $4 mark on the "billable time" clock.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I agree with you

Maybe he is using a laser like this... very fast... few seconds and bingo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkwQNAepf4

Quote Originally Posted by Norberto Coutinho View Post
    Yup, that's a galvo laser. It moves the focused beam with mirrors. It's also Nd so it can mark metals directly.

Prices start around $50K
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Norberto Coutinho View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkwQNAepf4
    Wow! Bet that bad boy costs some bucks!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Yup, that's a galvo laser. It moves the focused beam with mirrors. It's also Nd so it can mark metals directly.

Prices start around $50K
    no... price in this link is 20k... I am thinking to buy one... but the custom fee tax here in Brazil is heavy.... around 70% .... I need to think a lot

ebay item58867c1e74
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-08-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Wow! Bet that bad boy costs some bucks!
    another video .... I am not the seller . I am thinking to buy one... but I am afraid about custom fee tax here in Brazil.... 70% ...
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-08-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget, guys, since sales are through email, almost every pic is going to already be in digital format (i.e., no scanning necessary). What's our worst problem with pics? Small images... it's a dog tag, so that worry is essentially gone, too. Small item means a somewhat crappy result isn't a big deal. About the only thing he has to worry about is receiving pics with extremely low contrast.

I bet setup on each tag takes less than 5 minutes/piece, and he probably lasers 10+ in a batch. An hour of work, $60,not a great rate, but not bad for extra spending money.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Maybe he employs an army of ZOMBIES! RUN!

With what we do, we do all of the graphic design and other support services for free, but we end up running a ton of production so it isn't that big of an issue.

Engraved pet tags at 85 cents with $1.60 shipping...$2.45...again, just not seeing it. People giving it away at or below cost...nice business model if you can sustain it.

That is why like people have posted...you ain't gonna become Bill Gates doing craft shows and one offs...

I've been in this business for 12 years. The reason why I bought the laser is because the New Hermes system that I had, died. It was a dinosaur. I seen what lasers could do so I ended up getting that instead of a rotary engraving system.
    My sister is a landscape photographer (hobby of hers). She sells her work at the waterfront in Halifax. Last year she wanted to add something more to her booth. She wanted to get into laser engraving and engrave her photos onto little trinkets and sell them for next to nothing. I sent her links for very expensive lasers and told her how the set up was with the air pumps and such. It would have to be vented and she lives in a tiny military apartment and that I'm sure they have a rule about operating a business out of their places. I offered to do this for her at my costs (she's my sister and I love her). But when she told me her prices for selling these, I refused to do them for her. For one she was not going to make any money and I told her that she would be cheapening the market. There are already too many people out there doing that already. I also told her that she was cheapening the photography market as well. Peed her off, oh well, tough love.

ETA: The local jewellery store sells the photo engraved tags for $50. Says it costs him $30 to have them done. Of course he won't go through me to get them done. Doesn't matter anyways, he hasn't sold one yet.
    Seaside Engraving & Embroidery
    Barudan 1 head embroidery machine
    Epilog Legend 45 watt, CorelDraw 12

I make personalized items that all a one of. I am successful because I am doing a lot of them and by doing it over and over and over, I have got a rhythm down that I can do it much faster than others would think.

In fact when I talk to people about what I do, I fudge my time and tell them it takes 1.5 times longer that it really does. Almost always people ask me how I can get it done that quickly and still maintain my quality.

Also, the way I do some of my processes is backwards of what the norm is. Have also created special tools and programs to make the work flow easier and quicker.

My interest would be in the steps and procedures that he uses to make money at that level. I sure that I could learn a few tricks.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

I will not touch a photo for less than $75
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Two years ago my export sales to U.S. customers was about 15-20k and money was at par. Last year my U.S. export sales were about 1-2k, this year absolutely nothing to the U.S. yet, and CDN$'s are a few points less.. However, over the same time line my Canadian sales have taken up all the slack from my lost U.S. sales and then some. So I can only assume the U.S. economy is far worse than ours.. Right now my turn around time is about 8 business days, and may get to 10 on some jobs. Quite frankly, I have lots of work.. It's amazing what a difference a border makes..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it