Thread: I should go w/ the 5-mm shelf hole jig, right?

I should go w/ the 5-mm shelf hole jig, right?

Rockler sells a shelf hole jig:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...f%20hole%20jig

They sell it with either 5-mm or 1/4" bits.

My understanding is that there are hinges I'd be able to use with the 5-mm bit. Are there also hinges for the 1/4" bit?

My research seems to be that there is more "stuff" for 5-mm holes?

You are right, 5mm is more commonly used for more things.

As far as the jig, if you have a drill press, you can make your own basically for free and save $35 bucks. I have 4 in the shop--a short one, a medium one and one which is 6' long for closets, and one which has no fence and can be used inside a cabinet with a mounted faceframe. I use 1/4" melamine and 1.25" hardwood for the fences.

Also, unlike rocklers, I have a stop at one end to index on the top or bottom of the partition. A bit of blue tape is used to cover a hole at the beginning and end points--it's way to easy to forget which holes you are using and keep on a drilling...

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 03-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.

I bought the Rockler jig and used it for most of my shelves, but there was one area that I couldnt get the jig to fit. I ended up making my own jig to finish the project.

Blog Entries
    You can also use 1/8" or 1/4" peg board to get equal hole spacing.

1/4" shelf pins will hold more weight without the wood distorting than the 5MM pegs will.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

And the next step above 1/4" is to use the sleeve system rockler sells--a separate metal sleeve goes into each hole. (and each hole is actually bigger than 1/4"). I use 1/4" sleeves for all bookcases, the 5mm sleeve system for all open shelving and raw holes only inside cabinets. The nice thing is that once you buy or make a jig, you can buy the proper bit to do all these sizes of holes.

-Steve

6. I have a veritech. Old but my favorite over others I have purchased or made. Aligns well, accepts all size holes.

I had thought of making my own jig. But the Rockler jig is only $13 (the bit itself is $22). So seeing as I'd have to buy the bit anyhow, and seeing as how I already have a Rockler coupon, I thought I'd just buy the Rockler kit.

5mm it is.

My advice is to make your own. And forego the Rockler drill bit as well. For the money, get some hardened steel drill bushings and drill stop collars in whatever size you need. I have the 9/32 size (IIRC) because I almost always use the bushings for 1/4" shelf pins which require the larger hole.

My jigs are made from scrap strips of whatever is available with holes sized for the drill bushing and long enough that they don't have to be indexed to continue the row of holes. I bought the Rockler Jig for a set of 6 full height bookcases and found there's enough slop in the Rockler jig that when the row of holes is longer than the jig, there is enough variation from row to row that the shelves would rock on the pins in the "extended" part of the row. And I got very tired of having to clean out and "unjam" the drill every couple of holes or so.

In fact, if you're (or anyone reading this is) interested, PM me and I'll make you a good deal on the 1/4" Rockler Jig and the drill bits as well. They're just gathering dust in my shop.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 03-05-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have the Rockler jig and have used it on many projects. With the common 20% off coupon it is a very good value.