Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for inexpensive mobile bases?

Blog Entries

Ideas for inexpensive mobile bases?

I have a jet contractors saw that has those casters that can be raised and lowered (I think I got them at woodcraft) and the casters are completely trashed from being rolled around and from a couple moves. I think the ball bearings are gone from a couple of them as well.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any good plans or ideas for mobile bases that are solid and inexpensive to make. I'm not worried about the height change that may result so any style will work.

I also have a craftsman 6" jointer that I would like to put on a mobile base as well...

The reason for this is my shop... I'll post a pic. Not complaining, I enjoy working outside its just a pain to drag everything in and out. But I never have a problem with low ceilings.

Lets here some ideas, sources for casters and suck would be appricated, I don't want junk but good quality for the best possible price and potentially do it myself is fine.

Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

The simplest is two peices of plywood laminated with casters on the bottom.

I have had good luck with harbor freight casters but others haven't. With you working outside I would either go with a high quality caster that is greasable or use a cheap one and replace them more often
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi Andrew, the difficulty with casters is that good casters are expensive.

A swivel caster takes a beating due to bending and impact loading.

A much better system is to use a semi-live skid design, such as the base in the link provided below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

You can make one handle, which can be used for every piece of shop machinery.

In addition the levelling feet prevent the machine from rocking, or moving when in use.

For a tablesaw I would suggest putting the wheels on a side of the saw, as opposed to the front or back. That will naturally resist the pushing and pulling forces when sawing.

Regards, Rod.

Try these guys

http://www.surpluscenter.com/wheels....catname=wheels

They have a really large selection, the company I work for has bought hundreds of casters from them for assembly tables and carts.

I've built a few mobile carts and bases for my machines, from very simple and cheap to really complicated and expensive.

You can certainly build your own, but by the time you purchase the lumber and good quality casters, you've spent about as much as you would for an HTC-2000 "universal" base on Amazon.

Unless you want to build something fancy with storage or want to raise the height of the machine, just buy a commercially-available base online or from a woodworking supply store.

Just my $.03 (it used to be only 2 cents, but you know... inflation.....)

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I have a jet contractors saw that has those casters that can be raised and lowered (I think I got them at woodcraft) and the casters are completely trashed from being rolled around and from a couple moves. I think the ball bearings are gone from a couple of them as well.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any good plans or ideas for mobile bases that are solid and inexpensive to make. I'm not worried about the height change that may result so any style will work.

I also have a craftsman 6" jointer that I would like to put on a mobile base as well...

The reason for this is my shop... I'll post a pic. Not complaining, I enjoy working outside its just a pain to drag everything in and out. But I never have a problem with low ceilings.

Lets here some ideas, sources for casters and suck would be appricated, I don't want junk but good quality for the best possible price and potentially do it myself is fine.

Last edited by Jason White; 03-05-2010 at 4:49 PM.

Rockler has their universal base on sale for $40 in store. (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=mobile%20base) It comes up at $50 on line.

You'll still need to supply the wood for the stretchers so price that in for consideration.

It doesn't look like there is a lip between the shed and the apron in front so these casters may be ok.

I got the Woodcraft (others may sell it too) kit that you add a piece of ply and bolt the casters on the corners under my 450# saw. While I don't move it often, when I do it rolls.

I agree with Jason. I haven't found any way to do it much cheaper than $50 with decent casters so you may as well just get a HTC-2000 or similar. The Rockler one on sale is a good deal if you've got some lumber sitting around for it.

I don't see the point in wasting your time to build something like a mobile base if you're not even saving any money.

Ive got these SES casters on all my mobile bases; I think they're comparable to the Woodcraft ones. If you do a search here you'll see several good reviews besides mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Caster-4-Total-L...item5636acb055
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If the tool is not heavy I gust use a pair of mower wheels and a threaded rod between the legs on one side I lift the other to move it around.

If it is heavy I use old steel wheels from a floor jack or something simular and mount with steel frame to the tool. Worked well with the 16" jointer.
    If you use casters get the steel ones they are really easier to push around. and the larger the better.
    The other day I was pushing a board thru the jointer and it started rooling along with me after I kicked the block from the wheel. I guess thats not too bad considering that it weighs about 2000 lb.
    Chad
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the responses and ideas all. I will have to do a little digging around and see what I want to do.

I have a decent amount of 8/4 ash that I should use, I just have to decide if I want to use it on this or something nicer.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

i like the SES casters, too. For the money, they're good value. Search Ses Casters on ebay. Then look for "store inventory on side of page. They have a huge selection.

Their total locking casters have a wee bit of play in them. But, it ain't enough to bother me. On something as heavy as a TS or jointer, you probably wouldn't even notice it.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I don't think you'll need wheels as large as mine, but I made one for my 8" jointer out of 2Xs. It kept the height down with the wheels mounted up.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...4&postcount=12
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Are the legs for the casters still good? Are they shaft mounted casters? Peachtree has double locking casters on sale (3 & 4") that you could just replace yours with. If you don't need a complete base, just use these casters. I have then on 3 of my machines, TS, BS, and I'm making one for my 6" jointer. Once they are locked I have yet to have the machine move on me even under long ripping boards or PW sheets. Just an idea....

Nobody suggested complaining to Woodcraft? If they are as crappy as you say, they ought to do something about it.

I complained to Rockler because my 2 year old casters were falling apart and they sent me new ones. I'll let you know in a year if they are any better.