Thread: Engraving Glock - issues

Engraving Glock - issues

I have seen a few threads and pictures of jobs for engraving Glocks. The element I did not see in any of the threads was if lasering the slide leaves the Glock prone to rust/corosion due to the finish being removed. Or, is the finish only altered?

I know folks should keep their Glock wiped down, clean etc., but the question is bound to come up ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Vaughn View Post
    I have seen a few threads and pictures of jobs for engraving Glocks. The element I did not see in any of the threads was if lasering the slide leaves the Glock prone to rust/corosion due to the finish being removed. Or, is the finish only altered?
    No. The engraving just removes the black phosphate(?) coating, but does not penetrate the "tennifer" treatment, which is what really rust-proofs Glocks.
    (EDIT: I assume you're just talking about laser engraving, not actual metal removal.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Vaughn View Post
    I know folks should keep their Glock wiped down, clean etc., but the question is bound to come up ....
    Uh, yeah, right...clean them once a year or every 2000 rounds, whichever comes first, whether they need it or not.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have done a lot of work etching picatinny rails and upper receivers for AR-15s as well as a nice .50 cal for the NRA and have never had issue with rusting, albeit most of that is aluminum. As far as the finish, you don't end up removing any material from the piece when you etch. I'm thinking the reason that it was never discussed is because it is a nonissue.. hope this helps.

Glock

I am a Glock Factory Certified Armorer. I have discussed this issue with Glock and the guys at Lone Wolf Distr. No adverse issues are expected or have been experienced. The black coating is mainly an anti-reflective treatment the Tenifer is the "good stuff". You can use Lacquer-Stik for fill and it looks incredible!
    Send some pictures!
    ULS VersaLaser 3.5 30W Rotary & HPDFO

Red face

Oh the innocence of old age. I mistook the thread title to mean a glockenspiel
    Jani

Epilog 24TT 35w
    Gerber Edge vinyl printer and cutter
    Amaya embroidery machine
    Dye sublimation
    Gjet direct to garment printer

Quote Originally Posted by Jani Pedersen View Post
    Oh the innocence of old age. I mistook the thread title to mean a glockenspiel
    Well, if you put your ear real close, when it plays, you may never hear anything again..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Well, if you put your ear real close, when it plays, you may never hear anything again..
    Now that is funny
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Trust you to find it funny ! hehe

okay - I did grin too
    Jani

Epilog 24TT 35w
    Gerber Edge vinyl printer and cutter
    Amaya embroidery machine
    Dye sublimation
    Gjet direct to garment printer