Thread: Forehead

Forehead

So I'm practicing dovetails, just for giggles. (yeah I do this sometimes as I don't own a DT jig) I have the pins cut and I'm chiseling out the waste, half way down then flip with an anchored straightedge board. And I'm working this like butter with a scary sharp 1/4" chisel. and I rap down and WHAMMO, a piece hits me at like supersonic speeds right in the middle of the forehead. (I was wearing my safety glasses of course. (. . . and there is no more important safety rule than to wear these; safety glasses. -NA) man it hurt, didn't break skin or leave a bruise for more than a day. but YOWZA. just thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    So I'm practicing dovetails, just for giggles. (yeah I do this sometimes as I don't own a DT jig) I have the pins cut and I'm chiseling out the waste, half way down then flip with an anchored straightedge board. And I'm working this like butter with a scary sharp 1/4" chisel. and I rap down and WHAMMO, a piece hits me at like supersonic speeds right in the middle of the forehead. (I was wearing my safety glasses of course. (. . . and there is no more important safety rule than to wear these; safety glasses. -NA) man it hurt, didn't break skin or leave a bruise for more than a day. but YOWZA. just thought it was funny.
    The funniest (and most painful) forehead incident I had was digging post holes. My neighbor and I were putting in a fence between our property and I was really trying to jam the post hole digger into the ground--really putting my body into it. My hand slipped off the handle and my momentum carried my forehead right into the end of the handle. Kinda made my eyes water. The funniest part was my neighbor Dave. He started laughing like crazy and it kind ticked me off that he was laughing at my pain. Then he says "I did the very same thing 20 minutes ago, but was too embarassed to say anything." We both had good laugh at that point.

Work safetly
    Dennis

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Isn't that how Cawlijah got his poor ol' wooden head?
    I've had those waste pieces between the pins pop out at me, too, but usually they strike me in the chest, which is pretty well-padded. I guess if I thought there was any real danger, I could wear a full face mask, like one sometimes uses when lathe turning. The other thing you could do, of course, is use a coping saw to remove most of the waste, and then just make paring cuts with the chisel to finish. I don't like using my cheap coping saw, though, so I'll stick with chopping out the waste from both sides, ala Frank Klausz.
    If there is a visible wound, I'm sure SOMEONE (whose initials are CP) would like to see a picture!

At least you didn't glue your forehead to a table.

"I went to the emergency room but they said it wasn't an emergency."

"Why? Was there someone there with a WHOLE table stuck to his head?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle
    If there is a visible wound, I'm sure SOMEONE (whose initials are CP) would like to see a picture!
    Oh yeah, like he should talk. The last time he pulled something like that, he had this BIG RED nose for several weeks! Looks like the swelling finally went down a bit now.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yeah, but now I have all this fuzz around my face....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Oh sure...First it's that big aircraft carrier and now you want a new lawn mower! Sheeeeesh....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!