Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's too bad...

Paul,

Nobody is saying you can't disagree with someone. What we as Moderators are saying it will be done within the Terms Of Service which means a certain level of civility will prevail or we will close or edit the thread or post at our discretion.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I serve as a moderator in other groups

I serve as a moderator in other groups. I have never had to do anything with editing or dealing with the behavior of the members but I have much smaller groups. I also am in charge of some historical re-enactment events in my area where I do have to deal with name calling, profanities, egos, and the luxury of dealing with inebriated individuals on a personal basis. Making judgments on ending debate that has devolved and other things is not an easy job. You always seem to have somebody angry with you and there is always somebody to offer their opinion on your actions. It is a thankless job for the most part.
    I am new to this forum but am thoroughly enjoying it. The helpful hints that I have received thus far are a testament to the general good will of all and what I assume is the foundation of why this group was created.
    My hat is off to the people who make this possible. Thank-you.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    I am guessing so as I had a couple of posts that have gone missing. Last night when I quit it was pretty benign I thought. ......
    It was the second one: the thread is still there and there are additional posts to it since I put in mine but mine disappeared. I'm not against censorship on public sites for policy infractions because, as others have pointed out, things can get out of hand and ruin a site over time, but I would like an explanation of some sort even if its a checkoff list with an "X" next to whatever I was judged to be culpable of.

Apparently the following effectively said that Ken was the person who deleted the post. It turns out that that is not the case, and I apologize for my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov View Post
    It's also too bad when you find one of your posts erased without any clue from the moderator as to why.

I agree with Dave. It is confusing to not know why a post has been deleted. It would help to know what the 'infraction' was.

I agree with Mr. Ryan, as well. I posted an innocent comment as I went to bed, too. I woke up and the thread was gone. I figured something had devolved. We're adults and we should be able to disagree and comment as such (obviously without threats and personal attacks). It is amazing, and I don't think I'll ever get it...why do people have such a problem with SawStop? Why do people care so much? This is not politics. We are woodworkers and this is either vocation or recreation...maybe both.

Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to discuss tablesaw safety or dust collection science. It's kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dorlan View Post
    I agree with Dave. It is confusing to not know why a post has been deleted. It would help to know what the 'infraction' was.
    Living in the U.S., it's also spooky to have posts disappear from a thread without a trace or any mention, as though they never existed.

It is the policy of SMC that moderation actions will not be discussed in public. We do that because it just opens the door for more screaming and yelling...like usual...censorship...freedom of speech...heavy handed moderators...etc.

However...I will try to explain and then close this thread.

I was the one who moved the thread to the moderators forum. When I pulled it was 0300 here and I was on an iphone...so I didn't really feel like fighting with anyone on my iphone trying to explain why I felt it had to be pulled. Besides...most of those who felt compelled to jump in have been told many times they were crossing the line...

Why did I feel it needed to be moved to the mod forum and discussed??? Did everyone read all the posts? Did everyone REALLY believe it was just an adult discussion between a couple of grownups? Well if you did you REALLY don't understand that discussing things here on SMC is not just between a couple of friends...it's spread all over the world and yes...YOU and SMC are liable for what you say. I could have deleted posts and tried to make the thread make sense...but...I really do have a life. So...just so you know...If we don't pull threads that include statements that are unsubstantiated we (read Keith and his family) have to deal with the repercussions. Calling people "scum bags"...and making unsubstantiated claims of knowledge...is not adult and could cause us all problems.

How many of you actually read the lawsuit before they posted anything here in front of the world? Do you have any idea that YOU could be liable for what you say here? Check out page 8 here if you don't believe SMC and YOU can be...

Also...just so people understand..."locking" a thread keeps it in public for ever. When a thread is moved to the mod forum it removes it from public viewing and the ability to "google" it... which MAY or may not keep you from liability for your public statements.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 03-08-2010 at 6:51 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan