View Poll Results: Do you detension your bandsaw blade, once you are finished using it?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I simply remove the tension off the blade

48 56.47%
  • Yes, I remove the blade altogether

0 0%
  • No, I just leave the blade on there.

37 43.53%

Thread: Bandsaw Question

Bandsaw Question

I recently bought a high quality bandsaw blade to replace one I recently bent up, and was reading the recommendation to detension the bandsaw blade when not in use, so I wanted to do a poll.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

I de-tension when I remember - realistically about 80% of the time. Then I tuck the power cord around the tension handle to give my feeble brain a fighting chance to re-tension the blade before starting it the next time.

As far as results go, a "blade memory" is not really apparent nor does there appear to be any flat spotting on the tires. (A little NASCAR lingo there. ) So the real poll question is - Does it matter?

Regards,
    Ted

on my B/S it's a pain to take the tension off so I don't. it's been that way for 12 yrs havn't noticed any flat spots.
    Mike

I made a little tag that I hang from the tensioning knob that tells me the current status of tension on my saw. I have been using the same bandsaw for 24 years and have always taken the tension off, so maybe it works for me.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

For years I didn't know you were 'supposed to' detension. So I didn't. Then I started...and in very short order broke two Timberwolf blades. Stopped again, and haven't broken a blade since.

KC

I detension my blade every single time I take it off the saw! That might be once or twice in a day, it might not be for months (which is more likely). My saw is a Jet 14" that is over 10 years old, and I have never had a problem with breaking a blade or lumpy wheels. The saw has run a little rough at times, but that has been from things like the stupid nut holding the wheel coming off, or losing teeth on a blade, bending the blade while cutting rough blanks, whatever.

Bill

I'm with Ted, although I'm not smart enough to wrap the cord around the tension lever, so it's hit or miss if I start the machine with or without tension. I usually find out real quick one way or the other.

I have a Sears 12" band saw that I bought in 1963, I have never detensioned the blade. It has the original tires. I replaced the bearings in about 1994 and installed a 3/4 HP motor. I tighten most blades as tight as I can get them. some times I wish I had a 14" but it works very well.
    Earl

I de-tension my BS after every use. No problems that I know of. I have the "quick release" blade tensioner on my saw, so it is quite easy to release the tension on the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    I de-tension when I remember - realistically about 80% of the time. Then I tuck the power cord around the tension handle to give my feeble brain a fighting chance to re-tension the blade before starting it the next time.

As far as results go, a "blade memory" is not really apparent nor does there appear to be any flat spotting on the tires. (A little NASCAR lingo there. ) So the real poll question is - Does it matter?

Regards,
    Ted

Agree 100% Most of the time I detension it but the times that I do not and it stays that way for weeks I notice no difference when I fire the saw up.

Thanks everyone, I was really wanting to figure out if I was the only person in the world who never messed with the tensioner. It looks like more people detension the blades than don't and that is very interesting.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

No one else has mentioned it, but the blades develop minute stress cracks in the gullets sometimes which continued tension helps expand. I'm a normal detensioner, had an old blade in for the last month with no detensioning, and pulled a separation. I'm detensioning the new one again. Trying an Olson this time.

Jack,

I always remove the blade tension from my BS blades after every use. My blades seem to last longer that way. It's also hard on the blades if you over tension them. I now use the Timberwolf blades and they are low tension blades and I like that.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.