Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did I just buy? (plywood)

From my recollection it was much more expensive than standard plywood -- and I remember it being quite heavy.

I used it for built in shelves and a bar -- since its solid you could dress the edges with a router. It could then be finished in ways not possible with standard plywood.

I am surprised a big box store stocked it.

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Smith View Post
    Iv'e had good luck just yelling out HELP. Usually get at least two employees to see what is wrong.
    When I cant seem to get help I start using their tools and they come running.

Are there no smaller lumberyards in your area?

Blog Entries
    im new to woodworking and i have a really stupid question but this has been bugging me like crazy and i know its something simple but what the hell does BORG stand for?
    i see people saying it all over various forums but i cant figure out the initials!

The core might be paulwani (spelling?) which is quite a light wood. It is straight grained and quite water resistant.

It has recently become available in Malta as laminated 2" strips and I am planning to build 3 floating shelf vanity units from it for my daughters' new house bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    im new to woodworking and i have a really stupid question but this has been bugging me like crazy and i know its something simple but what the hell does BORG stand for?
    i see people saying it all over various forums but i cant figure out the initials!
    Couple different things it stands for but all of them refer to the big box stores - Home Depot or Lowe's.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Blue or Orange Retail Giant

Borg, short for cyborg, short for cybernetic organism (if you're a Star Trek fan) - referring to the nonhuman nature of the retail giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Borg, short for cyborg, short for cybernetic organism (if you're a Star Trek fan) - referring to the nonhuman nature of the retail giants.
    More specifically, the Borg, a race of cybernetic organisms that are grouped together in a collective where they have no individual personality. They ruthlessly assimilate others into their collective, and robotically intone "resistance is futile".

In other words, not too dissimilar from the large retail giants that have assimilated consumers into their hive-mind way of doing business. You don't want to be forced to use Lowes and Home Depot, but resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blum View Post
    More specifically, the Borg, a race of cybernetic organisms that are grouped together in a collective where they have no individual personality. They ruthlessly assimilate others into their collective, and robotically intone "resistance is futile".

In other words, not too dissimilar from the large retail giants that have assimilated consumers into their hive-mind way of doing business. You don't want to be forced to use Lowes and Home Depot, but resistance is futile.
    lol, thanks Mark. I knew I wasn't doing the StarTrek reference justice.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Lumber core plywood is typically used where you need more bending resistance i.e. shelves or in situations where you are not covering the edges i.e. flat cabinet doors with a shaped edge (typically in "low end" kitchen cabinets). It is usually more expensive than veneer core plywood and odd that you would find it at a BORG since it is not that common anymore.
    I haven't seen any in a long time. My parents had a pair of very nice and well-made walnut veneer wall units made of lumber core plywood, with thicker veneer surfaces than anyone makes now.

10. From what you described, it sounds like poplar plywood. It was on sale a few months ago at Lowes or HD. It was marked down to $35 per 4'x8' sheet. I picked up a few sheets and have been using it with no real problems. It's very strong, hard plywood that is great for bookshelves and cabinets. As you mentioned, it has a greenish hue. The hue comes out even more when the wood is finished. If you plan on finishing it, I'd stay away from tung oil as it seems to exaggerate the greenish hue. I'd suggest using something like a lacquer or polyurethane.

Another complaint is that the veneer layer peels off very easily on the edges during sanding. Other than that, it's good stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Couple different things it stands for but all of them refer to the big box stores - Home Depot or Lowe's.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Blue or Orange Retail Giant

thanks vic, i knew it had to do with them in some way but just couldnt figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckee View Post
    I have the opposite problem at the local home depot, i can't walk more than 30 seconds without someone asking if i need help.
    That's how it is at mine too! Only problem is,,,they never find anyone that CAN help me, but they are willing.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

What Kind of Plywood?

Used this material in the 70's. It's called "lumber core plywood." Yes, it is lighter in weight and pretty stable to.

happy WW,
    Bob

I bought a few sheets of that stuff at HD a few months ago. Some observations:

1) light weight
    2) much flatter and more stable than the typical ply you'd find at HD
    3) core is made of less desirable strips of poplar, i.e. spalted, soft ,etc. Because the veneer is very thin, there isn't much resistance to denting.
    4)The grain in the veneer is more open than birch. You might need to fill the it, depending on your desired finish.

I used this stuff for a the top of a painted bench for a window seat. It worked great, although the grain is very visible. I would use it again.

They use that type of solid core material in making furniture. The way things seem to be going in the plywood field,it is probably more desirable than ordinary plywood. People have found all kinds of stuff,like pieces of soccer balls,wire,etc.,in imported plywood. It also doesn't stay flat and de laminates. Also has lots of voids. I hope the solid core stuff does better.