Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

Recently I noticed my hearing was getting a little worse, and while I might just be getting old (?) I have renewed my efforts at improved hearing protection in the shop. What does everyone else do? Earplugs, muffs, electronic noise suppressors? Just taking a poll since I can't recall that this has been a topic here on SMC.

Ed

I use the little yellow ear plugs. Cheap & they work. My wife snores so I keep a pair by the bed.

They make a pretty decent floating jighead for walleyes also.

Huh? Whatdidjasay?
    Lynn J. Sonier

Ed -

I have documented hearing loss thanks to the Navy. Lots of hours sitting by an APD.

I use ear muffs because ear plugs are so dang uncomfortable. Several pairs hanging around the shop. Tried the plugs on the head band type, but they kept breaking. Have thought about noise suppressors but can't justify the $$$ yet. I could be convinced based on others input.

Thanks for asking the question. Don't think it has been discussed at length.
    Regards,
    Ted

I'm totally deaf in my right ear and that ear has tonitus(sp?). In other words the right ear has a tone in it. I've become extremely protective of my remaining hearing. I wear ear muffs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This is a good thread question - thanks for asking.

I use ear muffs as well. However, I'm thinking of switching to the electronic noise suppressors - but have not done much research on them yet. Would be interested to know what other's think of the different muffs on the market.

Betsy

I wear muffs 95% of the time I run anything noisy. I'll sometimes skip it if I'm just making a quick cut.

I use ear muffs, mostly only when sanding (because I use my shop vac for dust collection) or running the planer. I also use them when mowing the lawn, but more so I can use ear bud headphones under them to listen to MP3's.

I got mine at the Cabela's near me for about $30. I found them in the shooting section. They are much better than anything sold by Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Electronic muffs

I all,
    I have done quite a bit of target shooting and some hunting over the past few years. A while ago, I got into the electronic hearing protector game, as I was spending about every saturday at the range, puting holes in paper targets. The pair of e-muffs that I bought were made by Peltor, a well respected name in the business, and I must say, they performed wonderfully. As with anything that runs on batteries, you have to be mindful to turn them OFF when you're done using them (I've wasted alot off batteries that way...). Anyway, the noise suppression with these is pretty darn good, with a rating of noise reduction at 21 decibels (db). This means that loud noises (anything over 85db) are automatically shut down to a level which is 21 db below what it was detected at. This is good, but there are better reduction ratings out there. I now try to use products that are rated for at least 24 db in reduction.

Now, for the benefits of the e-muff and it's associated amplification: normal conversations can be heard and understood, even amplified with these units. Which means that at the range, i can give instructions to students, talk with others, or just be more aware of my surroundings (a real safety factor) - all the while protecting my hearing while firing is taking place. Out in the filed on a hunt, I used to get ribbed and ridiculed for being a lightweight and wanting to protect my hearing (never could understand that one), however, I LOVE the ability to hear things moving throught the woods, even if it is a squirrel. You also get to hear the deer as well. On top of that, it makes me more careful of my movements, as I hear everything amplified significantly, so therefore, I become more careul out there.

OK, so, how does this relate to the shop? Easy..wear these things while the table saw, or router is running, and you can comfortably hear someone (insert significant other) calling you to tell you something important. It also gives you the ability to hear that phone ringing. Plus, you don't have to keep donning and doffing these things in order to comfortably accomplish your tasks.

My first pair has finally bit the dust, so I just odrered a replacement for significantly less that the originals. Bear in mind that my first pair were purchased in 1996, so eight years of use isn't bad. Anyway, the Peltor's cost around $140 back then, and still are around the same price. The replacement set is manufactured by some newer brand (read offshore manufacturing) and sell for around $59. BIG difference inprice, plus the newer ones offer (reportedly) a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 27db. Believe me, that's a noticeable difference from a NRR of 21db.

Here's the link to the pair I just bought:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/136427

Keep in mind, I do not have any affiliation, kick back privaledge, etc., etc., with any associated brands, companies, or organizations.

Please work safely, have fun, and enjoy life!

Maurice

While inserts of various types and muffs have different attenuation values, all work to cut down the noise level. The single most important thing about hearing protection is a combination of convenience and comfort. If your choice is neither of these, you won't wear them and they do you no good at all hanging on the wall or sitting in a drawer. You might need to try a couple of different styles to find out what works well for you. It is money well spent and since they are relatively inexpensive multiple choices are possible.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have been using the Bose headphones for about a year. Once you get past the $$$ shock, they are outstanding. Noise levels are reduced to a very acceptable level, and I am able to hear my wife speak very easily if she comes in the shop. I spent much of my working life before retirement in the commercial sound business, and was subjected to very high sound pressure levels at times. I wore David Clark headphones for about 35 years until I bought the Bose. (In the presence of loud sounds, that is!) I suspect that some of the less expensive electronic systems work well, but have no experience with them. At any rate, my hearing is still quite good, due I'm sure to wearing hearing protection all these years.

Earmuffs made by Peltor (model number H7 as far as I can tell).
    They are very comfortable and the best at nose reduction of any earmuffs that I have tried.

Bottom line to all...Wear hearing protection of some kind.

I too was lax in wearing hearing protection in my younger years. I just started wearing hearing aides a couple of months ago. It improved my hearing tremendously, but it's not the same as the real thing. And I could have used the $6500.00 on shop tools or a trip to anywhere, rather then buying hearing aides.

Again...wear 'em if you got 'em. If you don't have any...get some.

I use Peltor earmuffs in the shop but find them to hot to use out in the yard or on a job so I use these AirSoft™ Corded Ear Plugs from Lee Valley and have been very happy with them.
    Sparky Paessler

Another vote for Peltor. I used them everytime I would go to the shooting range and now they are in the shop. Anytime the Planer and router table are used they are on. other machines if it's prolonged use.

Neighbor got the Peltor Tunes model "With a radio" and he loves them when cutting the grass, has not tried them in the garage yet. He also has the Peltor Electronic ones that lower the DB the instant it goes above a certain sound level, very nice but I think they are almost a $100. Expensive but worth it if you need to talk and then need the protection and back and forth, like Firearms instruction or to hear SWMBO when she calls .