Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8" Jointer and 15" Planer -Delta or General?

Don't waste your money

Hi Frank, I admit that Delta makes good equipment, but why not save some money.

I just took delivery on a Sun Hill 8", 2hp., 72" jointer that is made by GeeTech in Taiwan. The beast weighs over 400 lbs (182 Kg.) and will no doubt out last me. Sun Hill received a shipment of cosmetically damaged jointers and are selling them for $759 plus shipping. The damage is that someone along the way between the factory and the Sun hill warehouse allowed water to get on the tables and as a result the machined surfaces have surface rust spots. If you close your eyes, and run your hand over the surface you can't tell there is a problem. IMO, some table saw rust remover will most likely clean it up, if not it is not big deal and will not affect the machine performance.

Second, regarding the planer. Take a look at the York Craft 15" planer sold by Wilke Machinery. It is a floor model with a 3 hp. motor with built in mobility kit. After some searching, it seem to me to be a best buy at $799.

Something to think about.

These machines do not carry the Delta label, but who cares, its the machine not the label that counts.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Hi Frank, I admit that Delta makes good equipment, but why not save some money.

I just took delivery on a Sun Hill 8", 2hp., 72" jointer that is made by GeeTech in Taiwan. The beast weighs over 400 lbs (182 Kg.) and will no doubt out last me. Sun Hill received a shipment of cosmetically damaged jointers and are selling them for $759 plus shipping. The damage is that someone along the way between the factory and the Sun hill warehouse allowed water to get on the tables and as a result the machined surfaces have surface rust spots. If you close your eyes, and run your hand over the surface you can't tell there is a problem. IMO, some table saw rust remover will most likely clean it up, if not it is not big deal and will not affect the machine performance.

Second, regarding the planer. Take a look at the York Craft 15" planer sold by Wilke Machinery. It is a floor model with a 3 hp. motor with built in mobility kit. After some searching, it seem to me to be a best buy at $799.

Something to think about.

These machines do not carry the Delta label, but who cares, its the machine not the label that counts.
    Thanks for the tips Ken. I will see what I can find about these on the web, but, I doubt that either of these machines will supported well in Canada.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-06-2004 at 7:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Tahnks for the tips Ken. I will see what I can find about these on the web, but, I doubt that either of these machines will supported well in Canada.
    Frank, the Sun Hill folks can provide parts for the jointer. There are only three moving parts, motor, cutter head, and drive belts. The cutter head assembly has sealed bearings and is removable.

I have always heard that the support from Wilke Machinery is outstanding. That is one of the reasons I bought their 10" cabinet saw.

Now shipping is another thing. It cost a little over $200 to ship a 600# saw package from central Pennsylvania to north Texas. The shipping, from Seattle, on the jointer was $148 for a 500# package. I don't know your location, but I bet you are closer to York Penn. than I am, and it might be to your advantage to drive down and pick up the planer. Both were delivered by trucks with lift gates, and very helpful drivers. In fact, the driver who delivered the jointer was also a hobbyist woodworker, and and enjoyed a tour of my shop
    Best Regards, Ken

Not in Canada

I checked both the Sunhill Machinery and Wilke Machinery web sites and there is no mention AT ALL of Canada. My experience with this sitauation (and I have a lot of it), indicates that no mention equals no support. So, Ken, since support is important to me, I can not act on your advise.

Frank, I understand your position. Not to belabor the point, neither company has "branch outlets" and they do have 1-800 numbers. I don't think they would discriminate as to which side of the boarder your live on. Heck, Seattle is only a short drive from British Columbia.

I don't know your experiences, so I yield to your decision.
    Best Regards, Ken

6. general 8" jointer: i can't get parts & parts dept won't answer my emails

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    I have decided to get an 8" jointer and a 15" planer for my shop, and now I am trying to pick the which ones to buy.

There is a dealer nearby (Markham Industrial) who sells, delivers, sets-up, and services both Delta and General (as well as some cheaper lines such as King Canada). I will probably purchase the machinery from them.

So, now I need to decide which ones to buy.

My 8" jointer choices are between:
    General International 80-200

Delta X5 37-365X

My 15" planer choices are between:
    General International 30-115

Delta X5 22-780X

Please give me any information and/or opinions that will help me to choose!
    i can't get the needed parts & daniel of the parts dept won't answer my emails

Charles.....first this thread is 13 years old. 2nd. Frank is a "Guest" here now and can't post here.

Good luck on your hunt for parts.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....